Re Elizabeth Innes/George Buchan

  • Hazel Stevenson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2006
      Hello Alex and Colin,

      Thanks for your replies re the GEORGE BUCHAN/ELIZABETH INNES MI. I was interested in the family because of the MARGARET WATT connection.

      I would really like to find out more about Margaret's father seaman ALEXANDER WATT. (I think I corresponded with Alex before on this subject.)

      Alexander was the brother of my 3g grandfather, John Watt, whom I think died at Roneheads 9/11/1840 aged 73. John was of the parish of Rathen when he married Margaret Masson in 1805, but Alexander was "of Peterhead" at his wedding to Margaret Phillips in 1803. Alexander was dead by May 26 1837 when his widow first went on the Poor Roll. It could even be that he died at the same time as his son-in-law John Martin, but this is only conjecture.

      Margaret Martin lived near John Watt's family throughout her life, and it was her daughter Jane Martin (1831 - 30/5/1868) who was the informant at the death of her cousin Andrew Watt, John's son, on 11 Aug 1862.

      I would be delighted to discover more about these early Watts ... and does anyone know anything about the ISABEL WATT born about 1795 in Peterhead who married JAMES LAWRENCE? (A James Lawrence was a witness at 4 of John Watt's children's christenings so there could be a family connection.)

      Alex - I was sorry you weren't able to find out more about the death of John Martin - it appears deaths at sea and abroad are difficult to trace.

      Hazel