Re: [Peterhead] Farm Servants; Reply from Ray Hennessy; J thomson reply

  • Ray Hennessy
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18, 2006
      Hi folks

      Sheena's ggparents were a mixed bunch, including tailors, a
      shopkeeper, a grieve, a police sergeant, & assorted servants:
      agricultural and domestic. None of them were demeaned by
      their level in the local hierarchy and many showed determined
      independence, but it is interesting when one gets one's
      children's view.

      One of our sons said, why don't we have anyone famous in
      our tree? To which his mother pointed out: our ancestors
      did a really tough job in the 18-19th centuries, creating
      worthwhile agricultural land out of the primitive landscape
      and making it the lovely county it is today; and just think:
      by their hard work you have all had the opportunities now
      to go to university, get well-paid jobs and travel the world.

      I think he suddenly realised that there just might have been
      different conditions in those days and can now understand
      why we are so keen to get to know those hardy and brave
      forebears who did so much for us all. We are very much in
      awe of them and do this as much to honour their unknown
      memories as to find our own roots.

      End of sermon!!

      Best wishes to all

      Ray

      PS To be fair, we are trying to confirm a link into the Gordon
      line roughly at the time of Lord Byron, but that's another story.