Re: [Peterhead] Burd & Wildgoose (Chase)?Reply of J. Thomson

  • jsethomson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2006
      Dear Hester: After all our e-mail exchanges of several weeks ago, I thought
      I would not be back replying to you this soon.

      I ran into the name "Wildgoose" in connection with checking on the husband,
      one Alexander Chivas, Cheves, etc. who married my ggrandmother's sister,
      ---Elizabeth Milne Chivas. From my research her husband's mother's maiden name
      was: "Wildgoose". I have wondered how such a name got into both Longside and
      Peterhead parishes. It did not seem very Scotch to me. My best surmise is that
      the name is not true Scots, but Holland Dutch.

      Back probably in the 18th century, some noble to improve the quality of
      certain kinds of fishing results along the coast south of Peterhead a short
      distance arranged for a large number of Holland Dutch fishermen to emigrate there.
      They came and proved very successful at a certain type of fishing...this was no
      reflection on the Scots fishermen, but just that these Dutch had more
      experience with a certain kind of fishing, that was not common along the Scottish
      east coast. These people were solid citizens, had large families, and prospered.
      The regular Scots fishermen and their families were not too much on mixing
      with the non-fishing families for the most part, for years, but of course, some
      mixing did occur, even years ago. This is my best guess. I would be happy
      to hear from some others who might feel that I am way off base, and why. I
      know there were people with the name "Wildgoose" in Longside parish. The Holland
      Dutch must have eventually intermarried and probably today there is no such
      distinct settlement along the coast south of Peterhead. Alexander Chivas
      (mother Wildgoose) lived most of his life in Boddam, except for a short farm lease
      on 130 acres in New Machar, at a location, presently about three miles north
      of the Aberdeen airport.

      I should mention, Hester, that I was so intrigued about your ancestors,
      James Milne and Elizabeth Walker, baptizing a daughter, Margaret, in Crimond
      parish in 1845, two years before they were married in Peterhead, that I have
      ordered from Scotland the OPR record of Margaret's Crimond parish baptism plus the
      OPR record of the parents marriage some two years later in Peterhead. It
      would be interesting to have the session records of the Presbyterian Church in
      Crimond at or about the time of daughter Margaret's baptism. I am greatly
      surprised that their minister would have ever agreed to baptize Margaret, since
      the parents were not married....they must have made some deal with the Crimond
      church session and elders...such that both of the parents would insure that
      daughter Margaret was duly brought up in the Presbyterian church of Scotland.

      Probably my James and your James Milne, are not the same person. However,
      it appeared that when your James and Elizabeth had their son, Alexander,
      baptized in 1856, that they were living in "Kirktown" and I believe the number was
      "46". I believe Kirk street at that time was considered "Kirktown". It was
      just a long stones throw from St. Peter's cemetery. The original church was
      in ruins....apparently the sand shifted so much that years ago, they decided to
      place the "Kirk" in another location, for a better foundation. The point
      that I am leading up to here is, that that is almost the exact location where
      Margaret McWilliam Milne lived when she died in the year 1856.

      I think the origins of my James are somewhat a mystery...why he never got
      into the OPR's with his three brothers, and two sisters. I keep on proceeding
      because I suspect there was some kind of family mix-up. However, I just cannot
      totally ignore the circumstance of my James, purchasing the Lair (plot) for
      his parents.. Logically if it was our James living on Kirk street, one could
      reasonably expect that he might have helped his family out at his mother's
      death by providing a burial plot.

      You might want to look at the recent publication entitled: Longside, its
      Parish and its People, put out in the year 2000 as a millenium publication of the
      local Presbyterian parish church. there. I visited one of it's authors, Vi
      May, when I visited Longside in October of 2003. I had previously ordered the
      book through the Aberdeen and Northeast Scotland Family History Society in

      The matter of how the Presbyterian Church sessions and their elders viewed
      baptism of illegitmate children fascinates me. I think it is quite likely that
      if the parents did not get straight with these people, that your child might
      not be baptized, or at least not get into the OPR's I know of some cases that
      this did not happen. ...the grandfather of the Toronto minister, to which I
      previously referred in e-mails to you, never got into the OPR's although he was
      in the local Census several times for Tomintoul in Kirkmichael parish.

      You now have my two cents....I would glad to be further enlightened by
      anyone with more background.

      Good Luck, Jim Thomson