Artrochie (for Eileeen)

  • Hester NicEilidh
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 19, 2006
      Eileen wrote:

      >>> Hi Hester, I have just read your message and realised that our
      ancestors were neighbours, and possibly knew each other. My gr
      grandmother, Elizabeth Clark, dau. of George Clark and Helen
      Geddes , was a domestic servant at South Artrochie, Logie Buchan,
      when she married Alexander Kinghorn( from Peterhead) in 1868. She
      had had an illegitimate son Alexander Sangster Clark at Bilbopark a
      few years previously and did not name the father. Her sister Bathia
      also had an illegitimate child and then later married an Alexander
      Sangster, Artrochie. Sounds like quite a love triangle, but I
      probably will never know the facts!! Wouldn't you just love to go
      back in time to see what their lives were like?<<<

      Hi, Eileen:

      That's a terrific story! Artrochie sounds like the 19th century
      Scottish version of "Wisteria Lane"!

      I'm sorry for the delay in my response. I did respond to your
      message off-list, but I suspect my reply did not get through to your
      e-mail account. Since my previous post, I have found some more
      information about my ancestor at Artrochie. I also have pictures of
      Artrochie farm and surrounding area from my visit in 2004 that I
      could scan and e-mail to you.

      If you're interested, please contact me directly by e-mail at

      hesternic@...

      Cheers, Hester