Re: Auchreddie (for Ray and Margie)

  • Hester NicEilidh
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 19, 2006
      Margie wrote:

      >>>Hester it may help to know that
      Old Deer and Old Pitsligo are very close to one another. Not sure which
      Auchreddie but by the sound of it- Mains of Auchreddie -I imagine it
      would have been the larger one near New Deer. There may be others<<<

      And Ray wrote:

      > It seems that smallholders [i.e. Crofters and small farmers] in the NE
      > would often take the name of their plot with them when they flitted.
      > And "Agricultural Servants" who were set up in a croft elsewhere
      > would equally often name their new home after their previous
      > location, especially if they had been well treated there.

      Hi Ray & Margie:

      I've just found this page on the parishes of Deer and the nearby hamlet
      of Auchreddie (with a lovely picture of the countryside):

      http://www.peterhead.org.uk/villages/new_deer.htm

      It makes sense that the Auchreddie farm further south on the banks of
      the Ythan may have been named by people who had "flitted" from the
      hamlet of Auchreddie near Deer.

      Indeed, my Helen Mitchell, who was born in either Old Deer or Old
      Pitsligo parish, seems to have moved south to Auchreddie farm on the
      Ythan to stay with relatives.

      Cheers, Hester
      P.S. I've sent e-mail directly to both of you on a couple tangent
      topics but received no reply. If you didn't receive these e-mails
      (sent via the Yahoo group), please check your "spam" or "trash"
      folders, as Microsoft e-mail programs sometimes screen out "gmail"
      addresses (since this beta programme is a potential competitive threat
      to Bill Gates' empire).