Re: [Peterhead] Murray Seamen

  • Colin Murray
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 19, 2006
      Hi Catherine,

      Thanks again, frustrating business isn't it, unlike my Liness side which all
      traced remarkably easily.,strange isn't it that you can find details about
      most family members apart from the ones in your direct lineage who seem to
      appear, get married and die with only the briefest of mentions on other
      peoples register entries.
      From Alexander D Murrays (1830-1894) death register entry his sister "Jane
      Salmon' was present, so somewhere there has to be a marriage cert somewhere,
      but of course being seamen that could be anywhere!
      I can also find all sorts of Skenes around Scotland but I'm fairly certain
      her father was an Alexander, hopefully the marriage cert to John will sort
      that out.

      Colin

      Hi Colin,
      I had a look on Ancestry again, and tried various combinations for Salmon
      and Murray but nothing came up, but there was three entries, two for a
      McKenzie and one a Rae, and a James Salmon was a witness to their baptisms,
      both were seamen.
      So there was a Salmon family in Peterhead.
      I know that does'nt narrow anything down to relate the Murray's to Salmon's,
      but at least they were there.
      Keep going, your doing great.
      If you would like any more on different Murray's, please just ask.

      There are a lot of entries for Skene.
      Might not be your Margaret Skene.
      17-12-1823 Captain Alexander Sken, late 4th R.V.R. Damhead
      a dau Margaret, wit Patrick Jamieson and George Anderson

      The earliest Skene record is on the Jacobite Cess Roll 1715
      Euphame Skene relating to the Forbes of Skellater.
      George 1st of Skellater d 1632, mar 1. Euphame Skene. 2. Margaret Forbes

      Best wishes,
      Catherine