Re: James Milne /19th C. working class/ Industry vs. Environment

  • Phoebe
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 17, 2006
      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, jsethomson@... wrote:

      > Hi Jim,
      I was really excited when I saw this posting ( as only a genealogist
      can be)My 3rd Gt Grandfather was John McWilliam from Peterhead area,
      born abt. 1790, he certainly was married to Elizabeth Robb 17 Aug
      1813 at Peterhead, as a potential father to him I had William
      McWilliam and Janet Rainie.
      As I have no death of John, I am presuming he was drowned at sea as
      he was a mariner, I only have one piece of evidence that his parents
      were William and Janet Rainie and that is from the OPR.
      I have his sister Margaret marrying a John Milne.
      Does any of this ring bells, I have come to a dead end here as
      nobody wants to appear on a census or die in a place I can find them.
      Regards,
      Fiona Poulton

      I can provide you with some interesting history of his
      > grandfather, William McWilliam, and his career in the North Gordon
      Fencibles
      > from 1778-83. He met Jane Ranie in Peterhead, and on September 2,
      1782, they
      > were married in a military wedding at Williams headquarters in
      Aberdeen. After
      > service he relocated to Kinmundy in Longside Parish. He worked
      with the
      > initial wool received. The Kilgours that were his employers were
      truly very fine
      > and decent for the times. It has been suggested that is why they
      failed. The
      > Longside minister in the First Statistical abstract so highly
      praises them
      > that Maisie Stevens in her book on Eighteenth Century Scotland
      quotes him. Their
      > second plant on the north side of Longside was located at
      Auchlee, just
      > north of Longside village, today. Much of the help prior to its
      closing, for
      > that plant, came from cottars places in the very boggy and swampy
      areas to the
      > North. In 1823, one could have worked there, and have lived on
      the south west
      > part of St. Fergus. I have photos of Wm McWilliams home in the
      highland -like
      > area, just two miles south of Dufftown in Mortlach parish. The
      church
      > records show the McWilliams were living on the Duke of Gordon's
      land there from
      > the early 1700's. The McWilliams area is now owned by the Crown
      Estates, and
      > since 1937. I also have beautiful colored plates of the various
      Highland
      > uniformed North Gordon Fencibles including their pipers...the
      English reluctantly
      > let Scots have their pipes if they served in their military
      units. I even
      > have copies of some of Williams military records from the
      National Archives(Wade
      > Buchan also furnished me William's service records). Williams
      brother,
      > Robert, also served in the unit. The plates give any wall a
      brilliant spot of
      > red for an interior decorator.
      >
      > I recall that 45 Kirk Street was very close to John and Margaret
      Milnes
      > address. These were not fancy quarters, but were still much
      better than most
      > farm servant cottages. Those were often small, one, or possibly
      two rooms,
      > with thatched roofs, dirt or clay floors and one small window,
      two, if lucky. I
      > have an enormous collection of materials on the situation that
      farm servants,
      > married or single, experienced, and it covers most of the 19th
      century and
      > particularly Aberdeenshire.
      >
      > I have been to Scotland four times. The first time I visited
      Peterhead was
      > in April of 1946...enormous changes since then. The nineteenth
      century was a
      > very difficult time for one-third of the Scottish
      population...Rosalind
      > Mitchison says that for them them they were always on the verge of
      needing poor
      > relief....a situation that was not very pretty. Many of the
      descendants became
      > part of the Scottish diaspora...Scotland was a bittersweet
      experience for them
      > but I find its social dynamics fascinating nevertheless, and more
      so than other
      > countries social histories that I have studied. It was the most
      closely
      > owned country in Europe both then and now.
      >
      > Please let me know if you find anything on your James Milne"s
      final days.

      > Sincerely, Jim Thomson

    • Hester NicEilidh
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 19, 2006
        Eileen wrote:

        >>> Hi Hester, I have just read your message and realised that our
        ancestors were neighbours, and possibly knew each other. My gr
        grandmother, Elizabeth Clark, dau. of George Clark and Helen
        Geddes , was a domestic servant at South Artrochie, Logie Buchan,
        when she married Alexander Kinghorn( from Peterhead) in 1868. She
        had had an illegitimate son Alexander Sangster Clark at Bilbopark a
        few years previously and did not name the father. Her sister Bathia
        also had an illegitimate child and then later married an Alexander
        Sangster, Artrochie. Sounds like quite a love triangle, but I
        probably will never know the facts!! Wouldn't you just love to go
        back in time to see what their lives were like?<<<

        Hi, Eileen:

        That's a terrific story! Artrochie sounds like the 19th century
        Scottish version of "Wisteria Lane"!

        I'm sorry for the delay in my response. I did respond to your
        message off-list, but I suspect my reply did not get through to your
        e-mail account. Since my previous post, I have found some more
        information about my ancestor at Artrochie. I also have pictures of
        Artrochie farm and surrounding area from my visit in 2004 that I
        could scan and e-mail to you.

        If you're interested, please contact me directly by e-mail at

        hesternic@...

        Cheers, Hester