Murray Seamen

  • Colin Murray
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17 1:19 AM
      Hi all

      A newbie to this group so just a quick intro, my name is Colin David
      Alistair Murray and although I have a house in Lincolnshire I work
      and spend most of my time in the middle east (Oman) and so all my
      research is being carried out over the net.

      So who am I looking for, from my fathers (deceased) own records I
      have the following about my direct paternal descendants, all
      Peterhead born and all seamen:

      Great grandfather: John Murray 1854-1937 married 1882 to Jane
      McIntosh 1853-1903;

      g g grandfather: John Murray (captain) b. about 1823 married 1856 to
      Margaret Skene 1823-1885

      g g g grandfather: Alexander Murray (captain) b.about 1799.

      g g g g grandfather: either JB or JR Murray (captain) b. about 1768.

      I have most information about my great grandfathers family, and a
      small amount of info about John Murray and Margaret Skene, although
      at home awaiting my next trip to the UK I have their marriage
      register entry which I hope will give me the definite next names in
      the tree.
      I have conflicting information for the wife of Alexander (1799) taken
      from various birth/death/marriage entries, being either a Margaret or
      a Jannet Phillips but I can find no trace of a marriage entry for
      either, they also have at least 1 more son 'Alexander' found from
      another family members death registry entry.

      So far:

      JB Murray or JR Murray c1768

      Alexander Murray c1799 and Margaret or Jannet Phillips

      Children
      John Murray c1823
      Alexander Murray c1800's

      John Murray c1823 and Margaret Skene 1885-1823 married 24/9/1846 St.
      Nicholas Aberdeen

      Children
      John Murray 24/5/1854 - 5/4/1937
      William Salmon Murray 9/1/1860 - 10/1/1860 - Peterhead
      Alexander Murray 29/7/1862 - 1/8/1862 - Peterhead

      John Murray 1854-1937 and Jane mcIntosh 1853-1903 married cafe
      Shiprow, Aberdeen

      Children
      William Salmon Murray 1884-1955 - Dundee
      John Murray 1886-1955 - Dundee (My Grandfather)
      Angus McIntosh Murray 1888-???? Aberdeen
      Mary Ann McIntosh Murray 1891-???? Torry
      Nellie Murray 1895-???? Torry
      Isabella Davidson Murray 1897-???? Torry

      So information / birth, death and marriage dates are what I am
      looking for JB or JR Murray c1768, Alexander Murray c1799 and John
      Murray c1823.

      Hopefully once I get these sorted out I will be able to make the
      definite connection which I know exists between the above families
      and, Alexander Murray / Janet Robertson and Alexander D Murray /
      Helen Thom families for which I have most information.

      I also know due to the amount of models and paintings that we have in
      the family that they were heavily involved in the whaling trade out
      of Peterhead 1700's - 1800's.

      Here's hoping someone can help me pin these down.

      Regards

      Colin Murray
    • Cci
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18 4:11 AM
        Hi Colin,
        Welcome to the group.
        This is what I found on MURRAY to do with mariners on Ancestry.
        You might already have this info.
        Best wishes,
        Catherine

        1861 Vessels census
        Town; off Flamborough Head
        ship "W.S.C"
        David Bruce Inglis, mar, 34, Master, Montrose
        James Toune, unmar, 22, 1st Mate, Montrose
        William Middleton, mar, 44, Cook & Steward, Montrose
        James Murray, unmar, 23, AB Seaman, Peterhead
        Patrick Caper, mar, 32, AB Seaman, Waterford
        William Baxter, unmar, 21, AB Seaman, Peterhead
        Francis Young, unmar, 18, Ordinary Seaman, Montrose
        James Cunningham, unmar, 18, Ordinary Seaman, Weymouth

        1891 Vessels census
        River Tyne, Northumberland
        ship "ESK"
        John Dury, member of crew, s, 43, 1st Mate, Montrose
        Alexander McGregor, m of c, m, 51, Able Seaman, Dundee
        William Stobant, m of c, m, 30, AS, Durham
        William Cozens, m of c, m, 38, AS, Norfolk
        John Henry Craighead, m of c , m, 26, AS, Peterhead
        John William Murray, s, 21, AS, Peterhead

        Parish and Probate Records
        John Murray, Seaman in Peterhead a son John,
        bap 13-11-1836, before William Saunders and William Simpson

        28-6-1828 James Murray, Sailor in Peterhead a son Andrew
        witnesses William Murray and George Parley

        2-10-1831 John Murray, Seaman in Peterhead a son George Simpson
        wit William Saunders and Alexander Allan

        George Murray, Seaman in Peterhead and Mary Davidson his wife
        a son born and baptised 28-9-1854
        before William Saunders and Willian Murray

        Alexander Murray, Seaman in Peterhead and Helen Thom his wife
        a dau Janet born 11-5-1854 bap 24-5-1854
        before John Edward and Alexander Robb

        John Murray, Seaman in Peterhead a son Alexander
        born 18-8-1839 bap 28-8-1839
        before John Taylor and William Saunders

        John Murray, Seaman in Peterhead a son William Saunders
        bap June 1833 or July 1833
        before Elizabeth Murray and William Saunders

        James Murray, Fisherman in Buckie of Rathven a son Alexander
        born 22-8-1842 bap 28-8-1842
        bofre Alexander Murray and William Farquhar

        Alexander Murray, Seaman in Peterhead and Helen Thom his wife
        a son Alexander born 22-10-1852 bap 16-11-1852
        before John Edward and William Wallace

        George Murray, Fisherman at Buckie a son George
        born 1-8-1841 bap 16-8-1841
        before George Murray and Mrs Anderson

        There was also a Murray who was a Sailmaker.
        John Murray, Sailmaker in Peterhead and Margaret Skene his wife
        a son John born 18-5-1854 bap 24-5-1854
        before John Edward and Alexander Robb

        Murray's who were witness to a baptism and the parent was a mariner.
        Alexander Mathew, deceased Shipmaster in Peterhead and Susan Fraser
        his wife a son David Frederick
        born 8-5-1854 bap 22-8-1854
        before Thomas McDonald and James Murray

        5-11-1826 George Simpson, Shipmaster in Peterhead
        a son John, wit John Murray and James Brown

        James Leask, Seaman in Peterhead a dau Ann
        bap 16-1-1837 before Alexander Murray and Robert Taylor

        George Simpson, Shipmaster in Peterhead a dau Eliza
        wit George Milne and John Murray

        James Hendry, Shipmaster in Peterhead a son James Murray
        born 22-6-1842 bap 29-6-1842
        before Charles Murray and James McKenzie

        Alexander Bruce, Shipmaster in Peterhead a dau Helen
        born 30-11-1842 bap 15-12-1842
        before John Hendry and Alexander Murray

        George Simpson, Shipmaster in Peterhead a son George
        bap 12-8-1830 wit George Milne and John Murray

        There were many Murray women married to seamen, eg.
        John Robertson, Seaman in Peterhead and Margaret Murray his wife
        a son Andrew born 1-5-1846 bap 11-5-1846
        before Peter Reid and Alexander Watt

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18 6:32 AM
          Hi Catherine,

          Thanks for that, I have quite a lot of the data but the addition of birth
          and baptism dates helps, also seeing who the witnesses are has confirmed
          that the two Murray branches that I am working on are definitely connected
          (see below).
          I just hope that the stuff I have waiting for me in UK will help clear up a
          few things, like which alexander Murrays are from my branch of the family.
          Waiting for me in the UK: Marriage register entries for John Murray /
          Margaret Skene, Alexander Murray / Helen Thom and Alexander Watt / Helen
          Murray plus several birth register entries.

          John Murray and Margaret Skene my gg grandparents, he was a journeyman
          sailmaker but as yet I can find no record of his death or birth; his birth
          year coming from my fathers limited records.

          And just to confuse things even more I have a 'Salmon' connection to sort
          out, having the following:

          Jane Salmon Murray b.1873 to Alex. Murray / Helen Thom
          Williamina Salmon Murray b.1863 to Alex. Murray / Helen Thom
          William salmon Murray b.1906 to Alexander Murray / Helen Ann Grant

          William Salmon Murray b.1860 to John Murray / Margaret Skene
          William Salmon Murray b.1884 to John Murray / Jane McIntosh (Dundee Born)

          I can't find, in what there is available on the www any Salmon/Murray
          marriages but am I barking up the wrong tree with that assumption?

          From your research and all definitely with connections to my lineage:

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19 4:41 AM
            Hi Colin,
            I had a look on Ancestry again, and tried various combinations for Salmon and Murray but nothing came up, but there was three entries, two for a McKenzie and one a Rae, and a James Salmon was a witness to their baptisms, both were seamen.
            So there was a Salmon family in Peterhead.
            I know that does'nt narrow anything down to relate the Murray's to Salmon's, but at least they were there.
            Keep going, your doing great.
            If you would like any more on different Murray's, please just ask.

            There are a lot of entries for Skene.
            Might not be your Margaret Skene.
            17-12-1823 Captain Alexander Sken, late 4th R.V.R. Damhead
            a dau Margaret, wit Patrick Jamieson and George Anderson

            The earliest Skene record is on the Jacobite Cess Roll 1715
            Euphame Skene relating to the Forbes of Skellater.
            George 1st of Skellater d 1632, mar 1. Euphame Skene. 2. Margaret Forbes

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 19 7:07 AM
              Hi Catherine,

              Thanks again, frustrating business isn't it, unlike my Liness side which all
              traced remarkably easily.,strange isn't it that you can find details about
              most family members apart from the ones in your direct lineage who seem to
              appear, get married and die with only the briefest of mentions on other
              peoples register entries.
              From Alexander D Murrays (1830-1894) death register entry his sister "Jane
              Salmon' was present, so somewhere there has to be a marriage cert somewhere,
              but of course being seamen that could be anywhere!
              I can also find all sorts of Skenes around Scotland but I'm fairly certain
              her father was an Alexander, hopefully the marriage cert to John will sort
              that out.

[...]

              From your research and all definitely with connections to my lineage:

[...]

              insurance company American family home owner insurance
              Multi family home for sale Single family home for sale Family home
              finance

              c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service

              insurance company American family home owner insurance

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Visit your group "Peterhead" on the web.