Re: [Peterhead] Re: Rosehearty Parish? / Journeyman ShoemakerReply

  • jsethomson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 16, 2006
      Hi Ray: Thanks for the acknowledgment. In my home area there is a Ray
      Hennessy. I assume he is also as Irish as they come....He was a few years ahead of
      me in high school. I had thought perhaps Hennessy was like the name
      "Kennedy". I believe there are families with that name going back centuries in the
      Highland part of Scotland. However, I am aware of the hundreds of thousands of
      emigrants that came over from Ireland, particulary in the late 1700's and
      during much of the 1800's, to be farm servants, or work in the mills,
      particularly around Glasgow. I believe that probably the most leading Scots Historian
      today, Thomas M. Devine, has much of his roots in Ireland. He has written
      comparative studies as to the situation in Ireland with that in Scotland in the
      1700's and 1800's. I think it helps to have other areas and other ethnic
      ultures to compare Scotland's social history with, to get a sharper picture, of
      what the latter was, and what it was not.

      Best Regards, Jim Thomson