Re: [Peterhead] 1861 Census - Helen Mitchell- Domestic Servant

  • MARGIE DAVIDSON
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 15, 2006
      Hester NicEilidh <hesternic@...> wrote: Hester it may help to know that Old Deer and Old Pitsligo are very close to one another. Not sure which Auchreddie but by the sound of it- Mains of Auchreddie -I imagine it would have been the larger one near New Deer. There may be others,

      ---------------------------------

      Margie.........Cruden Bay

    • Hester NicEilidh
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 15, 2006
        Margie wrote:

        >>>Hester it may help to know that Old Deer and Old Pitsligo are
        very close to one another. Not sure which Auchreddie but by the
        sound of it- Mains of Auchreddie -I imagine it would have been the
        larger one near New Deer. There may be others,<<<

        Hi, Margie:

        On the 1861 census, the "Auchreddie" where Helen is living is
        actually in the parish of Ellon. So, I think that would probably be
        the Mains of Auchreddie near Ythanbank and the Candle Stone.

        On my OS map, I see a Mill of Auchreddie and a Hillhead of
        Auchreddie further north, about 7 miles away, right around New Deer
        as you say. Odd that the placename should occur twice within this
        relatively small area.

        Perhaps Ray has some comments on this geographical issue.

        Cheers, Hester
      • Ray Hennessy
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 15, 2006
          Hester NicEilidh wrote:

          > very close to one another. Not sure which Auchreddie but by the
          > sound of it- Mains of Auchreddie -I imagine it would have been the
          > larger one near New Deer. There may be others,<<<
          >
          > On the 1861 census, the "Auchreddie" where Helen is living is
          > actually in the parish of Ellon. So, I think that would probably be
          > the Mains of Auchreddie near Ythanbank and the Candle Stone.
          >
          > On my OS map, I see a Mill of Auchreddie and a Hillhead of
          > Auchreddie further north, about 7 miles away, right around New Deer
          > as you say. Odd that the placename should occur twice within this
          > relatively small area.
          >
          > Perhaps Ray has some comments on this geographical issue.
          Hi Hester

          I haven't looked at the Aberdeenshire places for a couple of years
          but below is my understanding of the sort of reasons applying here.

          The first one is probably the reason here:

          1. Regarding newly named places without other reasons:

          It seems that smallholders [i.e. Crofters and small farmers] in the N E
          would often take the name of their plot with them when they flitted.
          And "Agricultural Servants" who were set up in a croft elsewhere
          would equally often name their new home after their previous
          location, especially if they had been well treated there.

          2. Location-named places

          There is a tradition in the area of naming a place after the locality.
          Thus in Marnoch we have two places over a kilometre apart called
          'Milbethill', being on the north and south side of the Hill itself.

          We have found several places in Banffshire where the similarly-
          named places are well over a mile apart and many others where
          they are much closer. [Pity the poor postie!] In one case,
          'Finnygaud', the two locations about 500m apart are actually
          in different parishes but I don't know if OPRs fully reflect that.

          You'll often find two or more places named for a burn, valley
          or brae if it is a long one.

          3. Location-related places.

          In Methlick and Monquhitter parishes there are two farms named
          'Balquhindarchy' [pronounced "bal-why-nickee", stress on 'why'].
          The name means something like "View of Achie"; although
          Ben'Achie is actually some 40 km away it is certainly visible from
          the Methlick Baquhindarchy, and probably from the other one.

          4. Generic names

          'Hillside', Burnside' etc etc occur all over, sometimes three dispersed
          over a single parish! Usually they will get a local farm or croft or
          geographical feature added to distinguish them, but not always.

          In summary, nothing is ruled out! There are undoubtedly other reasons

          Best wishes

          Ray Hennessy
          www.whatsinaname.net
        • Hester NicEilidh
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19, 2006

            And Ray wrote:

            > It seems that smallholders [i.e. Crofters and small farmers] in the NE
            > would often take the name of their plot with them when they flitted.
            > And "Agricultural Servants" who were set up in a croft elsewhere
            > would equally often name their new home after their previous
            > location, especially if they had been well treated there.

            Hi Ray & Margie:

            I've just found this page on the parishes of Deer and the nearby hamlet
            of Auchreddie (with a lovely picture of the countryside):

            http://www.peterhead.org.uk/villages/new_deer.htm

            It makes sense that the Auchreddie farm further south on the banks of
            the Ythan may have been named by people who had "flitted" from the
            hamlet of Auchreddie near Deer.

            Indeed, my Helen Mitchell, who was born in either Old Deer or Old
            Pitsligo parish, seems to have moved south to Auchreddie farm on the
            Ythan to stay with relatives.

            Cheers, Hester
            P.S. I've sent e-mail directly to both of you on a couple tangent
            topics but received no reply. If you didn't receive these e-mails
            (sent via the Yahoo group), please check your "spam" or "trash"
            folders, as Microsoft e-mail programs sometimes screen out "gmail"
            addresses (since this beta programme is a potential competitive threat
            to Bill Gates' empire).