Re: [Peterhead] Farm Servants; Reply from Ray Hennessy

  • Ray Hennessy
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2006
      Jim's survey of servitude in N E Scotland is a wonderful
      review of the situation many of our ancestors were in.

      As an example, one line of Sheena's GGrandparents offer
      a somewhat bitter example. The husband died at the age of
      53 about 20 miles away from home. He was clearly on
      contract there and also clearly not in the best of health.

      The wife was at home with the five youngest children and,
      together with her second daughter, gave her occupation as
      dressmaker [hopefully not the usual euphemism].

      The oldest daughter was a 'domestic servant' at a cottage
      next door but one as the guardian/housekeeper for a family
      of five children the youngest of whom was 12. Obviously
      their father was also away on contract and needed someone,
      even a 13 year old girl, to look after the bairns. We haven't
      found with certainty the oldest brother [Scottish Naming
      Pattern difficulties] but he was probably an Ag Lab somewhere.

      On the other side of the tree, in 1851, a 12 year old boy was
      a shepherd on a remote hillside, to help the family finances.

      In both families most of the children rose to positions of some
      significance; the shepherd boy ended up as the Superintendent
      of one of the two Kelso Poor Houses [both sadly demolished now].

      Although we may feel some concern for the harshness of 19th
      century living for Ag Labs and Dom Svts in rural Aberdeenshire,
      and it was certainly that as an ancestor's memoire attests, they were
      capable of making good lives and we are all examples of the results
      of their hard work. There was nothing unusual or, generally, demeaning
      in the work they did. It helped them and their neighbours to develop
      the area and make it the wonderful county it now is.

      I believe we are all mostly in this adventure of ancestral research to
      honour their memory, even and perhaps especially the ones who have
      no memorials [pace Thomas Gray's "mute inglorious Miltons"]

      Best wishes to all

      Ray Hennessy