Re: [Peterhead] SHIVAS, CHIVAS, SCHEVES, etc; REPLY

  • jsethomson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2006
      Hi Catherine: Have reviewed your response of Feb. 11th to my e-mail. The
      fourth paragraph of same refers to a baptism record of the daughter of my
      g-grandmother's sister, Elspet Milne Thomson. I have been trying to locate some
      living descendants of Alexander Chivas and ane wife, Elizabeth Milne Chivas.
      Elizabeth died in Boddam about 1880 and her husband, Alexander, about 1886.
      He was a baker there at the time (altho he had been a farmer, most of his
      life). One son remained in the baking business there after Alexander died.
      There were at least ten children born to the Chivas couple...I have the marriage
      records of eight of them. One also known as Alexander, became Dr. Alexander
      Chivas R.C.V.S. in Corbridge, Northumberland....and I am trying to trace his
      ancestors...his grandson, a Robert Renton, in 1953, was aged 33 on marriage at
      such time, and was a Major in the Regular British Army. We think we are on
      to the last known location of one or two of his living children.

      There about 10 or 12 Chivas families listed in the Greater Aberdeen area and
      one or more may be a descendant of Alexander and Elizabeth Chivas. It is
      interesting to note that the great Chivas Brothers Whiskey business that has
      thrived greatly ever since James Chivas received the warrant to serve Queen
      Victoria at Balmoral, has been without any Chivas in the business since the latters
      nephew died in an accident in 1893. Perhaps if there are any Chivas
      descendants living yet in Greater Aberdeen, they might know something more about the
      family of Elizabeth Milne Chivas and her parents and siblings and possibly
      their descendants living today. I have noted that there were a few others in
      the 19th century in the Peterhead area, including Longside parish, that had
      essentially the phonetic Chivas or Shivas name......particulary the ones in
      Longside were quite prominent, within that parish.

      Thanks again Catherine....you are a whiz to be able to come up with such
      varied information so fast.

      Regards. Jim Thomson

    • Cci
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2006
        Hi Jim,
        Glad to help.

        There is an Alexander Chivas a Vet in Corbridge on the 1881 and 1891 census for England.
        1881
        15 Market Place, Corbridge, Nothumberland
        Alexander Chivas, head, mar, 34, Vetinary Surgeon, Scotland
        Isabella Chivas, wife, mar, 28, Scotland
        Jessie Spence, visitor, 51, Farmers wife, Scotland

        1891
        Water Row, Stanley, Corbridge, Northumberland
        Alexander Chivas, head, mar, 44, Vetinary Surgeon, Scotland
        Ann Chivas, wife, mar, 44, Northumberland
        Jane E. Chivas, dau, 3, Northumberland
        Elizabeth Taylor, servant, 17, Northumberland

        And;
        Alexander Chivas, marriage Sept 1886
        Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland

        Catherine