Re: [Peterhead] Introducing myself & my Peterhead forebears.REPLY

  • jsethomson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11 5:53 AM
      Hello Hester and Catherine: I am particularly interested in the information
      that Catherine added by her e-mail reply. Within Catherine's whole message
      she refers to not only a James Milne, but one John Milne as a witness to all of
      that James Milne's children's baptisms. Of some further interest is that the
      witnesses for the 1847 baptism were in addition to James Milne, one Alexander
      Shivas.

      My great great grandparents were a John Milne and a Margaret McWilliam Milne.
      They had a son, James Milne, in addition to three other sons (baptized) and
      two daughters. The daughters were: Elspet Milne Thomson and Elizabeth Milne
      Cheves, Chivas or Shivas. All of the names sounding like Shivas were family
      names that originally hailed from an area around Schievas Castle a few miles
      up the Ythan River northwest of Ellon Aberdeenshire....the Chivas Regal family
      brothers were from this area. Elizabeth McWilliam Milne at the time of all of
      those baptisms was married to an Alexander Cheves, Chivas or Shivas. They
      lived in Boddam in Peterhead parish for most of their lives, except for a short
      farm lease occupancy in New Machar parish. I know John Milne was a witness
      for the baptism of some of Alexander's 10 children, and very possibly Alexander
      was a witness for his brother in Law' s children on at least one ocasion

      While the James Milne that I am interested in, did not appear in the IGI
      records, he did appear in the St. Peter Church cemetery records as purchasing a
      cemetery lot for his parents there, one John Milne and James mother, Elizabeth
      McWilliam Milne. The parents are buried there, and I visited the plot in Oct.
      2003.

      The problem with any one named "Milne" in the Peterhead area is that the
      name is one of the most frequently appearing ones there, over the years. See for
      example Wade Buchan"s Peterhead Genealogy for the death records of the great
      number of persons named "Milne" over a really short period.

      My great grandmother was Elspet Milne Thomson. I have her McWilliam side
      traced back to the early 1700's in Mortlach Parish. Her grandfather, Wm
      McWilliam, was enlisted in the Duke of Gordon's North Gordon Fencibles in 1778 and
      after serving there five years located in Longside Parish prior to marrying a
      Jane Rainie in 1782. Janes father was a shoemaker on James Street in Peterhead,
      not far from the well for over 40 years. He met her while serving in the
      Fencibles there, for one of several six month assignments during our
      Revolutionary War, to protect against attacks from the likes of our John Paul Jones, our
      first Navy captain.

      Perhaps Hester just does not know who the parents were of her James Milne.
      If she does, and it is a John and Margaret McWilliam Milne, I would be very
      happy to know. I suspect that James could reasonably fit into the age range of
      the brothers and two sisters to which I have referred.

      Best Regards to all. Jim Thomson at Virginia Beach,
      VA

    • Hester NicEilidh
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11 5:22 PM
        Jim asked:

        >>>Perhaps Hester just does not know who the parents were of her James
        Milne.If she does, and it is a John and Margaret McWilliam Milne, I
        would be very happy to know. I suspect that James could reasonably fit
        into the age range of the brothers and two sisters to which I have
        referred.<<<

        Hi, Jim:

        Sorry, no, I don't know who his parents were. I haven't tried to look
        further back yet.

        Cheers, Hester
      • Hester NicEilidh
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11 9:48 PM
          > Jim asked:

          James Milne.<<<

          Hi, Jim:

          Well, I still don't know who his parents were, but I've found a bit
          more data. I managed to find him, wife & kids on the 1861 census at
          Scotland's People. He gives his age as 40 (b. ~1821) and his parish
          of birth as St. Fergus, Banffshire. Unfortunately, the OPR for St.
          Fergus shows no birth/baptism record for anyone of that name btw
          1820-22.

          Indeed, I've come across several census entries for various
          ancestors showing their parish of birth (dif. from current
          residence), then had no luck finding a birth record in the relevant
          OPR.

          I'm beginning to feel that my ancestors were nomads (never seemed to
          stay in one place for more than one generation) and heathens (not
          bothering to baptize their kids).

          Cheers, Hester