Re: [Peterhead] Kirkyards

  • Ray Hennessy
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2006
      Betty Murphy wrote:

      > I have been searching for the Kirkyard for my gr.grandfather
      > William Bruce. Would anyone have suggestions as to which
      > ones it could be. He died in Boddam.

      Hi Betty

      Try the ANESFHS MI Index. You can find it on-line at
      http://www.abdnet.co.uk/mi-index/

      If you look at the map you'll find that Gavin has marked all
      the indexed kirkyards with pretty little diamonds. Click on
      the nearest diamond to find out the publishing data for the
      Kirkyard. Some have been surveyed but not yet published
      [anesfhs will send you details if you're a member]. Range
      around the area to see which other ones might be right.

      You can then look up the Surname Search for BRUCE and it
      will show you how many there are in each Indexed Kirkyard.
      Check any likely Kirkyard [don't forget to look for ones near
      his place of birth - many folk were taken 'home' for burial] to
      see what dates are about right. I think there are well over 200
      occurrences of Bruce so you'll need to narrow the field a bit.

      You then might have to buy the booklet from ANESFHS - for
      a trifling sum - but at least you can find out beforehand if it is
      likely to be helpful.

      HTH

      Best wishes

      Ray Hennessy

      PS Gavin has put Kirkyard photos on the site: impressive.