Kirkyards

  • Betty
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10 5:52 AM
      I have been searching for the Kirkyard for my gr.grandfather William Bruce.
      Would anyone have suggestions as to which ones it could be. He died in
      Boddam.
      Thank You
      Elizabeth
    • Steve Hutchison
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 10 7:05 AM
        St.Peters Kirkyard in Peterhead has a section for Boddam folks.

        >I have been searching for the Kirkyard for my gr.grandfather William Bruce.
        > Would anyone have suggestions as to which ones it could be. He died in
        > Boddam.
        > Thank You
        > Elizabeth

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ray Hennessy
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 10 10:28 AM
          Betty Murphy wrote:

          > I have been searching for the Kirkyard for my gr.grandfather
          > William Bruce. Would anyone have suggestions as to which
          > ones it could be. He died in Boddam.

          Hi Betty

          Try the ANESFHS MI Index. You can find it on-line at
          http://www.abdnet.co.uk/mi-index/

          If you look at the map you'll find that Gavin has marked all
          the indexed kirkyards with pretty little diamonds. Click on
          the nearest diamond to find out the publishing data for the
          Kirkyard. Some have been surveyed but not yet published
          [anesfhs will send you details if you're a member]. Range
          around the area to see which other ones might be right.

          You can then look up the Surname Search for BRUCE and it
          will show you how many there are in each Indexed Kirkyard.
          Check any likely Kirkyard [don't forget to look for ones near
          his place of birth - many folk were taken 'home' for burial] to
          see what dates are about right. I think there are well over 200
          occurrences of Bruce so you'll need to narrow the field a bit.

          You then might have to buy the booklet from ANESFHS - for
          a trifling sum - but at least you can find out beforehand if it is
          likely to be helpful.

          HTH

          Best wishes

          Ray Hennessy

          PS Gavin has put Kirkyard photos on the site: impressive.