Introducing myself & my Peterhead forebears.

  • Hester NicEilidh
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
      Hello, all:

      I live in Toronto, Canada, and my maternal grandmother's parents
      emigrated from Peterhead to Owen Sound, Ontario around 1890. Their
      names were Alexander Forbes and Elizabeth Ann Imlah. When they
      emigrated, they were already married, with 3 children. Alexander
      left for Canada first, to find work, then sent for Elizabeth and the
      children to follow. They later had 11 more children here in Canada.

      Using the General Register Office of Scotland's on-line database, I
      found their marriage certificate. At the time of their marriage in
      1884, he was a cooper living at 18E St. Peter St and she was a mill
      worker living at 1 Constitution St.

      However, when I visited Peterhead last year, I was disappointed to
      find that both residences had been knocked down, in the former case
      replaced by now apparently derelict apartments, and in the latter
      case replaced by a modern shop.

      Tracing further back using GROS, I discovered that Alexander Forbes'
      parents had lived slightly inland, in the Kirkton of Logie Buchan.

      Elizabeth Imlah's family were Peterhead residents, though. Her
      parents, Mary-Anne Milne and John Imlah, lived on Kirk Street. They
      were born in 1848 & 1847 respectively. He was a carter in 1865, but
      had changed his occupation to seaman by 1869.

      From their marriage certificate, I learned that Mary-Anne Milne's
      parents were named Elizabeth Walker and James Milne (a sawyer), and
      that John Imlah's parents were Mary-Ann Burd and James Imlay (note
      spelling difference). I have no birth dates or birth places yet for
      this generation, but I did find that James Imlay was a slater by
      trade and had died by 1869.

      When I visited Peterhead, I looked for the graves for these
      forebears, but without success. Unfortunately, I was on a very
      tight schedule and only had time to search one churchyard, that of
      the now derelict church beside the woolen mills. In future, I will
      check the ANESFSH lists first.

      Looking forward to learning more about genealogical research methods
      from all of you, and to hearing from any group members who may share
      some of my ancestors. I'm also interested in information about
      daily life and culture in Peterhead in the 19th century and earlier.

      Cheers, Hester
    • David Davisdon
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2006
        Hester

        If you are intersted in finding out more about Peterhead try the following
        link
        http://www.bluetoon.com there are many links giving a wide range of information
        on the Buchan area

        Best Regards
        David Davidson

        Best Regards

        David Davidson

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2006
          erm...I think you meant www.blootoon.com
          The other link takes you to an adult site. oops! :D

          AP

        • Marie Cooper
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 6, 2006
            I tried the email posted on the 7 February 2006 with the following link
            http://www.bluetoon.com

            I found myself on a page containing sexually oriented adult material.

            How did this link go so wrong? Has this happened to anyone else out there.

            Cheers
            Marie
          • Keith Duncan
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 6, 2006
              Dear Marie,

              The correct URL should have been.
              http://www.blootoon.com

              Hopefully the moderators of this group will remove the link from

              I have been aware of the existence of the other domain for a
              considerable number of months/years... it is nothing new per se, but
              still an arguably unpleasant find!

              Another linke which may be of interest to some can be found at:
              http://www.peterhead-bay.co.uk/

              --
              Keith Duncan

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Marie Cooper" <minbalup@...> wrote:

              > I tried the email posted on the 7 February 2006 with the following link
              > [website address removed]
              >

              > I found myself on a page containing sexually oriented adult material.
              >
              > How did this link go so wrong? Has this happened to anyone else out
              there.

              > Cheers
              > Marie

            • Cci
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 11, 2006
                Hi Hester,
                I've been looking for more info than this for you but Ancestry does'nt have it.
                You might already have this.

                James Milne, labourer in Peterhead and Elizabeth Walker his wife,
                a dau Elizabeth born 2-2-1852 bap 10-2-1852
                before John Milne and James Davie

                James Milne, labourer in Peterhead and Elizabeth Walker his wife,
                a son James born 20-7-1849 bap 6-8-1849
                before John Milne and James Davie

                James Milne, labourer in Peterhead and Elizabeth Walker his wife,
                a dau Jean born 24-2-1854 bap 28-2-1854
                before John Milne and William Thomson

                James Milne, labourer in Peterhead and Elizabeth Walker his wife,
                a dau Mary born 10-10-1847 bap 11-10-1847
                before Alexander Shivas and John Milne

                Best wishes,
                Catherine

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 11, 2006
                  Hi, Catherine:

                  No, I didn't have that info. Thanks, it helps give me a better
                  picture of the family.

                  BTW, what was the original source for this information? Do you know
                  in which church the baptisms took place? (Or was there only one
                  church in town at that time?)

                  Thanks, Hester

                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Cci" <cci@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Hester,
                  > I've been looking for more info than this for you but Ancestry
                  does'nt have it.
                  > You might already have this.
                  >
                  > James Milne, labourer in Peterhead and Elizabeth Walker his wife,
                  > a dau Elizabeth born 2-2-1852 bap 10-2-1852
                  > before John Milne and James Davie
                  >
                  > James Milne, labourer in Peterhead and Elizabeth Walker his wife,
                  > a son James born 20-7-1849 bap 6-8-1849
                  > before John Milne and James Davie
                  >
                  > James Milne, labourer in Peterhead and Elizabeth Walker his wife,
                  > a dau Jean born 24-2-1854 bap 28-2-1854
                  > before John Milne and William Thomson
                  >
                  > James Milne, labourer in Peterhead and Elizabeth Walker his wife,
                  > a dau Mary born 10-10-1847 bap 11-10-1847
                  > before Alexander Shivas and John Milne
                  >
                  > Best wishes,
                  > Catherine

                  home insurance company American family home owner insurance
                  > Multi family home for sale Single family home for sale
                  Family home finance

                  of Service.

                  2/4/2006

                • Cci
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 11, 2006
                    Hi Hester,
                    No I don't know what church the baptisms took place, and the source was Ancestry.

                    2/4/2006