Re: [Peterhead] Digest Number 1297

  • wgm2409@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 24, 2006
      Hi Alex,

      I lived in Peterhead around 1952 and went to the "Chuckenies", the infant
      school opposite the Palace Hotel in Prince Street. I remember there was a
      butcher in Marischal Street called Birnies where we bought our meat and further
      up a Greengrocer's called Duncans which was run by Baillie Duncan who was a
      friend of my uncle ,Geo May, who had a joiner's business in Queen Street (John
      May).

      A friend of my father, Sandy Christie, had a dental practice near Drummer's
      Corner, he was killed in car crash on the Ellon to Fraserburgh road in the
      late 50s if I remember.

      I was lucky enough to have a school friend called Bruce Elder whose father
      was manager of the Regal so I got to go to the pictures for nothing on a
      saturday.

      All my family from Peterhead are dead now, I love to hear any stories or
      reminiscences about those days.

      Regards

      Bill Morrison
      (formerly of 88, Kirk Street)

    • Betty Holmes
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 24, 2006
        Good Morning Bill from Canada---Do you remember BRUCE the Ironmomger in
        Peterhead?? He was my husband's Grandfather. Betty..
        > I lived in Peterhead around 1952 and went to the "Chuckenies", the infant
        > school opposite the Palace Hotel in Prince Street. I remember there was
        > butcher in Marischal Street called Birnies where we bought our meat and
        > further
        > up a Greengrocer's called Duncans which was run by Baillie Duncan who was
        > friend of my uncle ,Geo May, who had a joiner's business in Queen Street
        > (John
        > May).
        >
        > A friend of my father, Sandy Christie, had a dental practice near
        > Drummer's
        > Corner, he was killed in car crash on the Ellon to Fraserburgh road in the
        > late 50s if I remember.
        >
        > I was lucky enough to have a school friend called Bruce Elder whose
        > father
        > was manager of the Regal so I got to go to the pictures for nothing on a
        > saturday.
        >
        > All my family from Peterhead are dead now, I love to hear any stories or
        > reminiscences about those days.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Bill Morrison
        > (formerly of 88, Kirk Street)

      • Alex Ritchie
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 24, 2006
          Hello Bill,
          Yes, you've reminded me of a few things.
          We had a music teacher at school called Miss May. I
          think she may have been one of the same May family. She lived in Landale
          Road.
          I remember a friend from years ago called Brian
          Elder. Would he have been Bruce Elder's brother ?
          We left Peterhead in 1964, just after we got
          married. However we still visit regularly because most of our families still
          live there.
          Good to hear from you.

          Alex Ritchie

          > I lived in Peterhead around 1952 and went to the "Chuckenies", the infant
          > school opposite the Palace Hotel in Prince Street. I remember there was
          > butcher in Marischal Street called Birnies where we bought our meat and
          further
          > up a Greengrocer's called Duncans which was run by Baillie Duncan who was
          > friend of my uncle ,Geo May, who had a joiner's business in Queen Street
          (John
          > May).
          >
          > A friend of my father, Sandy Christie, had a dental practice near
          Drummer's
          > Corner, he was killed in car crash on the Ellon to Fraserburgh road in the
          > late 50s if I remember.
          >
          > I was lucky enough to have a school friend called Bruce Elder whose
          father
          > was manager of the Regal so I got to go to the pictures for nothing on a
          > saturday.
          >
          > All my family from Peterhead are dead now, I love to hear any stories or
          > reminiscences about those days.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Bill Morrison
          > (formerly of 88, Kirk Street)

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • blue_bear_with_a_whistle
          Message 4 of 7 , May 10, 2012
            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Ritchie" <alex@...> wrote:

            > Hello Bill,
            > Yes, you've reminded me of a few things.
            > We had a music teacher at school called Miss May. I
            > think she may have been one of the same May family. She lived in Landale
            > Road.
            > I remember a friend from years ago called Brian
            > Elder. Would he have been Bruce Elder's brother ?
            > We left Peterhead in 1964, just after we got
            > married. However we still visit regularly because most of our families still
            > live there.
            > Good to hear from you.
            >
            > Alex Ritchie

            Hiya Bill, My Dad is Brian Elder and Bruce was his brother :) My Dad remembers Mrs May=and he says he remembers you - was your Dad the Manager of Coastal Cars? We live in Fife now. My Uncle Gavin and Uncle Jimmy still stay in Peterhead=. My Auntie Pat is in Italy. Sadly, my Uncle Bruce died in 1994. Would be g=reat to hear back from you or anyone else and hear all your stories :) Thanks Jane and Brian Elder :)
          • blue_bear_with_a_whistle
            Message 5 of 7 , May 10, 2012
              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "blue_bear_with_a_whistle" <blue_bear_with_a_whistle@...> wrote:

              > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Ritchie" <alex@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello Bill,
              > > Yes, you've reminded me of a few things.
              > > We had a music teacher at school called Miss May. I
              > > think she may have been one of the same May family. She lived in Landale
              > > Road.
              > > I remember a friend from years ago called Brian
              > > Elder. Would he have been Bruce Elder's brother ?
              > > We left Peterhead in 1964, just after we got
              > > married. However we still visit regularly because most of our families still
              > > live there.
              > > Good to hear from you.
              > >
              > > Alex Ritchie

              Sorry, also meant to say, this is for Alex Ritchie too and was asking if it was his Dad who was at Coastal Cars, sorry for mix up! :) thanks :)

            • Alex
              Message 6 of 7 , May 10, 2012
                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "blue_bear_with_a_whistle" <blue_bear_with_a_whistle@...> wrote:

                > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "blue_bear_with_a_whistle" <blue_bear_with_a_whistle@> wrote:
                > >

                > > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Ritchie" <alex@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hello Bill,
                > > > Yes, you've reminded me of a few things.
                > > > We had a music teacher at school called Miss May. I
                > > > think she may have been one of the same May family. She lived in Landale
                > > > Road.
                > > > I remember a friend from years ago called Brian
                > > > Elder. Would he have been Bruce Elder's brother ?
                > > > We left Peterhead in 1964, just after we got
                > > > married. However we still visit regularly because most of our families still
                > > > live there.
                > > > Good to hear from you.
                > > >
                > > > Alex Ritchie

                Hi There, Yes, my dad ran "Coastal Cars" with a guy called Tom Barclay who was a manager in the Cleveland Twist Drill Company. I remember Brian very well and am pleased that he remembers me. He would also have known Jeannie Cross (who became my wife way back in 1964).
                I seem to remember it was MISS May rather than Mrs.May ??

                Alex Ritchie
              • Bill Morrison
                Message 7 of 7 , May 13, 2012
                  Hi Alex, Jane and Brian,

                  Thought I would reply to the group in case any one else from our era
                  wants to join in.

                  My Aunt was Mrs Nellie May nee Morrison, she taught at the Central
                  School from ca 1923 until she retired in 1964 although for some of
                  those years presumably she wasn't able to teach because married women
                  were not allowed to. She married Geo May in 1938. Geo's sister was
                  Miss Bess May who was the famous music teacher and organist at the
                  Muckle Kirk and later at the West Church? where Geo was an elder for 35
                  years. She played the organ at my Christening at the Muckle Kirk in
                  1946.

                  Miss May lived in Landale Road in a house built by her father, John
                  May, before the War. Geo May and his father were fine golfers, both
                  won the Peterhead Open in the interwar years, Geo in 1929 and his
                  father twice in early twenties I think.

                  Does anyone remember Miss Strachan who taught Bruce and myself at the
                  Chuckenies. The only other people I remember at the Chuckenies in
                  1951/2 were Peter Duncan whose family were fish curers and John George
                  Wilson who lived in Love Lane, I remember very clearly listening to
                  the broadcast announcing the death King George VI which came on after
                  Listen with Mother on 6th February 1952.

                  My father worked for BP and we went to Kent later in 1952 where I was
                  brought up. The last of that generation of my family in Peterhead ,
                  Geo May, died in 1989 at th age of 86.

                  I have attached, assuming that is allowed, a photo taken at my Aunt's
                  Silver Wedding party in1963: Back row from left to right Mrs Bert May,
                  Miss Bess May, Bert May (Geo May's brother who was a solicitor in
                  Aberdeen). Front row Mrs Nell May, Geo May and Mrs Phyllis Goode nee
                  May.

                  Regards

                  Bill Morrison