Re: Whyte/Thomson/ Families

  • whyteres
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
      Hello,
      I am very interested in the Whyte family tree from Alexander Whyte
      and jane Brechin.

      My great grandfather was Alexander Whyte, the half Brother of your
      George. I also have not been able to find George's marriage. I am now
      certain that George's father was the father of my GGrandfather and
      the mother was Helenora Robertson.

      My father was Alexander Stanley Whyte and I have often wondered where
      the stanley came from.

      Do you happen to know what George's occupation was?

      Family information passed down the line was that my GGrandfather had
      at least two brothers in Peterhead - one a Bus driver and one had a
      shop.

      I now know that your George's brother James was a "motor driver" and
      his son had a shop.

      I would love to exchange further information.

      Colin Whyte in very hot South Australia.
    • whyteres
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
        Dear Listers,

        The previous post was my first to the site and I apologise for not
        indicating who I was responding to .... it was "snowflake 3939"

        My dilemma that I hope someone can assist me with is:

        My great grandfather Alexander Robertson WHYTE born at Moss of Cardno
        Fraserburgh in 1862, was

        born out of wedlock to Helenora ROBERTSON and I am having trouble confirming

        the Alexander WHYTE who was his father. His mother moved around a lot and I

        have not been able to find where she was living at about the time she became

        pregnant.

        I have however discovered from family records / information that my

        GGrandfather had at least two brothers on his father's side who lived in

        PETERHEAD. They were much younger than my GGrandfather.

        One was a shop owner in PETERHEAD

        The other drove a bus in PETERHEAD and I believe for the "SUTHERLAND" bus

        company.

        I am hoping that one of you may be aware of:

        a. Any "WHYTE" who drove a bus in PETERHEAD in the first half of the 1900's

        b. Any "WHYTE" who owned a shop in PETERHEAD in the first half of the 1900's

        c. How I may be able to identify information pertaining to "a" and / or "b"

        I am pretty certain now that Alexander Whyte who married Jane Brechin is my
        GGrandfather but would like to be 100% certain.

        Thanks.

        with my best wishes,

        Colin Whyte
        Mawson Lakes, South Australia. 5095

        Phone: 61 8260 7524 (home)
        I am very interested in the Whyte family tree from Alexander Whyte
        and jane Brechin.

        My great grandfather was Alexander Whyte, the half Brother of your
        George. I also have not been able to find George's marriage. I am now
        certain that George's father was the father of my GGrandfather and
        the mother was Helenora Robertson.

        My father was Alexander Stanley Whyte and I have often wondered where
        the stanley came from.

        Do you happen to know what George's occupation was?

        Family information passed down the line was that my GGrandfather had
        at least two brothers in Peterhead - one a Bus driver and one had a
        shop.

        I now know that your George's brother James was a "motor driver" and
        his son had a shop.

        I would love to exchange further information.

        Colin Whyte in very hot South Australia.

        insurance company American family home owner insurance
        Multi family home for sale Single family home for sale Family home
        finance

        Service.

      • J Adams
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
          Colin,
          Offhand, I remember Whyte the saddler on Marischall St. and I
          think a Whyte family ran a small shop on the same street. This was during my
          time in Peterhead 1939-1950.
          Jim Adams
          > The previous post was my first to the site and I apologise for not
          > indicating who I was responding to .... it was "snowflake 3939"
          >
          > My dilemma that I hope someone can assist me with is:
          >
          > My great grandfather Alexander Robertson WHYTE born at Moss of Cardno
          > Fraserburgh in 1862, was
          >
          > born out of wedlock to Helenora ROBERTSON and I am having trouble
          confirming

          > the Alexander WHYTE who was his father. His mother moved around a lot and
          >
          > have not been able to find where she was living at about the time she
          became

          > pregnant.
          >
          > I have however discovered from family records / information that my
          >
          > GGrandfather had at least two brothers on his father's side who lived in
          >
          > PETERHEAD. They were much younger than my GGrandfather.
          >
          > One was a shop owner in PETERHEAD
          >
          > The other drove a bus in PETERHEAD and I believe for the "SUTHERLAND" bus
          >
          > company.
          >
          > I am hoping that one of you may be aware of:
          >
          > a. Any "WHYTE" who drove a bus in PETERHEAD in the first half of the
          1900's

          > b. Any "WHYTE" who owned a shop in PETERHEAD in the first half of the
          1900's

          > c. How I may be able to identify information pertaining to "a" and / or
          "b"

          > I am pretty certain now that Alexander Whyte who married Jane Brechin is
          my
          > GGrandfather but would like to be 100% certain.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >

          > with my best wishes,
          >
          > Colin Whyte
          > Mawson Lakes, South Australia. 5095
          >
          > Phone: 61 8260 7524 (home)
          Behalf
          > Of whyteres
          > Sent: Thursday, 5 January 2006 8:14 PM
          > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [Peterhead] Re: Whyte/Thomson/ Families
          >

          > Hello,
          > I am very interested in the Whyte family tree from Alexander Whyte
          > and jane Brechin.
          >
          > My great grandfather was Alexander Whyte, the half Brother of your
          > George. I also have not been able to find George's marriage. I am now
          > certain that George's father was the father of my GGrandfather and
          > the mother was Helenora Robertson.
          >
          > My father was Alexander Stanley Whyte and I have often wondered where
          > the stanley came from.
          >
          > Do you happen to know what George's occupation was?
          >
          > Family information passed down the line was that my GGrandfather had
          > at least two brothers in Peterhead - one a Bus driver and one had a
          > shop.
          >
          > I now know that your George's brother James was a "motor driver" and
          > his son had a shop.
          >
          > I would love to exchange further information.
          >
          > Colin Whyte in very hot South Australia.

          > insurance company American family home owner insurance
          > Multi family home for sale Single family home for sale Family
          home
          > finance

          > Service.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • whyteres
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 2006
            Thanks Jim. Do you have any idea how I could confirm your information and
            find the first names of the Whytes. The Whytes that I think are my family
            lived at 70 Marischall Street from 1905 'ish to 1945.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2006
              Colin,
              I remember that the Whytes who owned the small shop in
              Marischall St. had a son around my age named Fulet Whyte. The name of the
              saddler was James Whyte. The address numbers of the two stores I do not
              know. Maybe someone in the group who lives in Peterhead could help more than
              I.
              Jim Adams
              > Thanks Jim. Do you have any idea how I could confirm your information and
              > find the first names of the Whytes. The Whytes that I think are my family
              > lived at 70 Marischall Street from 1905 'ish to 1945.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > with my best wishes,
              >
              > Colin Whyte
              > Mawson Lakes, South Australia. 5095

            • whyteres
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 6, 2006
                Thanks Jim. You have been a great help.

                Fuillet was the maiden name of James Whyte's wife Mary. They later moved
                down to Suffolk and owned a cafe there, so it looks like I have found thje
                right family.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 20, 2006
                  Can anyone help me with the names of shops / stores operated in Marischall
                  Street, Peterhead between 1925 and 1950 by Whytes and if possible the first
                  names of the Whytes?

                  Jim Adams has been able to help me with some infomation but I was hoping
                  that someone else may be able to help.

                  Many Thanks

                  with my best wishes from a rather warm South Australia... 42C,

                  Colin Whyte
                  1 Cormorant Way
                  Mawson Lakes, South Australia. 5095