RE: James Robertson

  • Ken May
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2005
      Hi Ian,

      Thanx for your response. I am actually searching for CORDINER
      ancestors. I have two Robertsons in my tree, they are...

      Jane ROBERTSON married James Cordiner on 23 Nov 1843 at Peterhead.
      and
      Jane (Jeannie) Robertson married John Lawrence May on 4 July 1867 at
      Inverallochy. Jane born 1849 and died 1908. John born 1846 at
      Fraserburgh and died 1923.

      Ken May
      New Zealand
    • MARGIE DAVIDSON
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 21, 2005
        Ken May <kenjeanmay@...> wrote: Hi Ian,

        Thanx for your response. I am actually searching for CORDINER
        ancestors.
        Hi Ken,

        Are you aware that a sister of one of our common ancestors married a Cordiner. Don't have details at hand however wil dig them out if you don't have the information,

        Margie........Cruden Bay
        ( Strachan tree)

      • moresmall
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
          Hi all

          James Robertson born 15 November 1818 in Peterhead, is my 2nd great
          grandfather, he married Ann Smith born 25 September 1817 in Portessie.

          James & Ann had 7 children, Jane ( Jeannie ) Robertson born 1849 in
          Peterhad, is my great grandmother, she married John Lawrence May from
          Inverallochy in 1867.

          Very recently just discovered the James was admitted to the Royal
          Lunatic Assylum in Aberdeen in 1855, dying there in 1871. It appears
          after he was admitted the family was split up.

          Am having great difficulty in tracking down Jane's whereabouts in the
          1861 census, also havent been able to find her mother Ann in 1861 &
          1871, its possible they went back to Portessie. Ann died in 1901 in
          179 Portessie.

          Does anyone have connections to this family would love to hear from you
          or can find them on above census's. Thank you.

          Kind regards

          Maureen, down under in New Zealand.
        • Cci
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2009
            1871
            12 Main Street, Inverallochy Rathen
            John May, H, mar, 24, Fisherman, brn Rathen
            Jane May, wife, mar, 21, brn Peterhead
            James May, son, 2, brn Rathen
            Jane May, dau, 6 months, brn Rathen

            1881
            12 Main Street, Inverallochy, Rathen
            Jane May, wife, mar, 30, Fishermans wife, brn Peterhead
            James May, son 12, scholar, brn Rathen
            Jane May, dau, 10, scholar, brn Rathen
            Ann May, dau, 8, scholar, brn Rathen
            Mary Jane May, dau, 4, brn Rathen
            Margaret May, dau, 2, brn Rathen
            Andrew May, son, 11 months, brn Rathen

            1891
            12 Main Street, Inverallochy Rathen
            Jane May, wife, mar, 40, Fishermans wife, brn Peterhead
            Mary Jane May, dau, 14, scholar, brn Rathen
            Maggie May, dau, 12, scholar, brn Rathen
            Andrew May, son, 10, scholar, brn Rathen
            John May, son, 8, scholar, brn Rathen
            Elizabeth May, dau, 6, scholar, brn Rathen
            Joan May, dau, 4, brn Rathen
            Robert May, son, 2, brn Rathen
            Mary Tail May, dau, 6 months, brn Rathen

            1901
            12 Main Street, Inverallochy Rathen
            John May, head, amr, 54, Fisherman, brn Rathen
            Jane May wife, mar, 50, brn Peterhead
            Margaret May, dau, 20, brn Rathen
            Andrew May, son, 16, brn Rathen
            Betsy May, dau, 16, brn Rathen
            Joan May, dau, 14, scholar, brn Rathen
            Mary Tail May, dau, 10, scholar, brn Rathen
            Robert May, son, 12, scholar, brn Rathen
            Georgina May, day, 5, scholar, brn Rathen

            Hi Maureen, I'm not related to your family.

            Good luck,
            Catherine
            Perth, Western Australia

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2009
              Hi,

              Have you tried the 1841 and 1851 census at
              http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl?

              Best regards, Sam

            • moresmall
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2009
                Hi Sam & Catherine

                Sam :
                Have been through there. Ann is a mystery person in 1861 & 1871, she doesnt appear to be in Peterhead, Portessie, still cant find Jane in 1861 either.

                Catherine :

                I have Jane in all the census after she married, she was living in Backgate Street, Peterhead, aged 2 in 1851, but having great difficulty in finding her anywhere in 1861 census.

                Thanks for your efforts

                Maureen