Re: [Peterhead] Births and Aliases

  • Ray Hennessy
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 16, 2005
      On 22 November Betty Murphy asked the Peterhead List:

      > If an unmarried woman gave birth, did she have to show
      > proof of who she was, or could she have used an alias on
      > the birth registration? This was around the early 1900's.

      Hi Betty

      Did you get any answers to your query? I didn't see one
      but my email server has been playing up recently so ...

      I would be interested if anyone has an answer to this.

      Thanks

      Ray Hennessy
    • Betty
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2005
        Hi Ray
        Thank you for responding. No, I haven't received a reply to my query
        unfortunately.
        :). If I do manage to find any information, I will post to the list.

        Betty

        On 22 November Betty Murphy asked the Peterhead List:

        > If an unmarried woman gave birth, did she have to show
        > proof of who she was, or could she have used an alias on
        > the birth registration? This was around the early 1900's.

        Hi Betty

        Did you get any answers to your query? I didn't see one
        but my email server has been playing up recently so ...

        I would be interested if anyone has an answer to this.

        Thanks

        Ray Hennessy

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Ray Hennessy
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 17, 2005
          On 22 November Betty Murphy asked the Peterhead List:

          > If an unmarried woman gave birth, did she have to show
          > proof of who she was, or could she have used an alias on
          > the birth registration? This was around the early 1900's.

          Hi again Betty

          I got this reponse from a shy guru:

          "I'm not certain what level of proof of identity was demanded
          of anyone at that date when registering a birth (or anything
          else), nor what kind of proof would have been available to the
          individual anyway. Possession of the so-called "Birth
          Certificate" was entirely voluntary, and all that the original
          1854 legislation required was that all births be reported, and
          that whoever reported them (it did not have to be the mother)
          should supply the information "... to the best of his or her
          knowledge and belief", which sounds a bit loop-holey.

          "On the other hand, in anywhere other than the bigger urban
          centres, people probably knew more about each other's
          business than we tend to, and as the Registrar often doubled
          as the schoolmaster, so would be in a position to know the
          local young. The Registrar did have some vague powers to
          inquire further in cases of doubt."

          That seems to cover it! Actually, when I think about it,
          one doesn't have to provide idenfying documentation in
          the UK when registering a birth or death today either.

          Best wishes

          Ray Hennessy
          and my 'annyonomous' [sic] guru.
        • Betty
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 17, 2005
            Hi Ray
            Thanks..:) On with my quest. The mother I was referring to was born
            in New Pitsligo, Aberdeenshire. The childs birth took place just oustide
            of Aberdeen, in Kildrummy. I would make a guess that the mother may not
            have been known in that area. It looks to me like she left the Peterhead
            area to give birth to the child, as she did go North again after the birth.
            At least now I know it is not a fruitless search.

            Thanks again Ray

            Betty