James TRAIL, Excise Office at Peterhead, Died 1832, wife Jane CLARK

  • Michael Black
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2005
      Hello,
      I am looking for information concerning James TRAIL, who was an Excise Officer in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, in the early 1800s. According to his monument inscription, he died in August 1832. His wife was Jane CLARK, who was born about 1751, and died in January 1818. According to his will, he had three children alive in 1823.

      He lists having a son named Thomas Gordon TRAIL (b abt 1782 in Cruden Parish), living in London, his occupation is listed as a Cooper.

      He has a daughter named Mary TRAIL (died 1840) who married Robert BRUCE (died before 1823). They had five children, that James lists in his will; Jean BRUCE (b. bet. 1802-1807), Robert BRUCE (b. abt. 1813), Mary BRUCE (b. abt. 1810), James BRUCE (b. abt 1816) and Alexander BRUCE. I believe that they lived in Peterhead.

      James TRAIL's third child is listed as Marjory TRAIL, married to John PIRIE. At the time that the will was written, they do not appear to have any children.

      James TRAIL and Jane CLARK may have also had another son, James TRAIL (b abt 1795), who died in 1823. He was married tp Barbara SCOTT, who died in 1903.

      Another daughter of James TRAIL and Jane CLARK is Jane TRAIL, she was born about 1788 in Cruden Parish, and married William LUNAN. Jane died in 1813, and is buried in St Peter's Cemetery. I don't know if they had any children.

      Any help of hints with this family is appreciated, especially with Mary TRAIL and Robert BRUCE's family
      Thank You,
      Michael Black