Murrison

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2005
      For Peter Campbell :

      Peter,
      Many thanks for the interesting details about William Murrison & the vessels he sailed on.
      Ref. the vessels you asked about.Let me tell you what I know :

      ALERT : I see a reference to the vessel in the 1857 Peterhead whaling fleet (Master - Donald Gregory).
      POLAR STAR : Was also in the 1857 whaling fleet (Master - David Ewan). Eventually sold to Dundee.
      AGOSTINA : Was built by Thomas Adamson of Dundee in 1837. It's original owners were merchants in Newburgh, Aberdeenshire.
      Eventually owned by Robert Volum (of the well-known Peterhead whaling family). He was washed overboard on a passage to London from Launceston in 1851. This was a period when she traded between mainly London and Australia. Between 1860 and 1865 she has an unbroken series of very unsuccessful whaling voyages and ceased whaling in 1865. She was wrecked and abandoned at sea in 1876.
      WINDWARD : Built as a sailing whale ship in 1860 by Stephen & Forbes of Peterhead. Was fitted with steam in 1866. THe original master was David Ewan. This vessel was the last whaler to sail from Peterhead under the captaincy of David Gray III in 1893. She was eventually sold to a Captain Wiggins ("of Siberian fame") in 1896.

      I don't know much about RESTLESS and FLOWER O'BUCHAN.
      Sorry for the very sketchy information. I'll try and get you more information if I can.

      Thanks again for the information on William Murrison...................Alex Ritchie.