Rosebud

  • krscarns
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2005
      Hi Group,

      I have not posted since Sept of 2000 but the recent entries
      that mentioned the Rosebud caught my eye and I thought I should
      respond.
      Some of the Shipbuilding firms in Peterhead in the 1800's were as
      follows;
      Alexander Geddes
      John Taylor & Son
      Wilson & Daniel
      Lunnan & Robertson
      Scott & Stevenson
      Alexander Ingram
      James Florence
      Messrs Birnie
      Francis Robertson
      Stephen & Forbes
      Carnegie & Matthews

      My GG Grandfather Robert, of Carnegie & Matthews, built a total of
      29 vessels in Peterhead from 1859-1881, 2 of which were the Olive
      Branch and the Rosebud.
      My family and I visited Peterhead this summer and took many
      pictures of the area to add to our family history. While there we
      found time to visit the Museum. The display at the Arbuthnot Museum
      has 2 paintings of the Rosebuds. Here is the information that is
      listed about them:

      Rosebud ( 202 tons) This three masted vessel was built in Peterhead
      in 1869 by Carnegie & Matthews. The Rosebud was engaged in the China
      tea trade for several years until she was found to be too small.
      Collie sold the vessel to Australian owners in 1875.

      Rosebud II (352 tons) The second three-masted vessel of the same
      name was built in Peterhead in 1876 by Carnegie & Matthews. With
      this vessel Collie went into general trade to South Africa, India,
      China, Japan, and Australia, as well as North and South America. The
      Rosebud was wrecked in 1888 at Mossel Bay in South Africa.

      This bit of information was found on the internet-Rosebud, British
      three-masted wooden schooner (341 tons), Capt. J. Collie sank August
      30 1888 at Dias Beach Mosselbaai, also spelt Mossel Bay. I have
      digital copies of both Rosebuds' if anyone is interested.

      This website, http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/index.html lists many
      vessels with their official numbers, year built, tonnage etc. The
      search term "Peterhead" brought up many hits.

      While at the Peterhead library I photocopied the index of the
      vessels built in Peterhead from 1837-1885, taken from Jim
      Buchan's "A Peterhead Portrait" listing year, name, tonnage and
      builder. If anyone knows where I can get a copy of this book (I have
      been told it is out of print) it would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you in advance,
      Have a good day,
      Kevin
      Canada
      Researching Carnegie, Leslie, Taylor,
    • george4705@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2005
        In a message dated 11/10/2005 6:48:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        krscarns@... writes:

        > A Peterhead Portrait

        Try amazon.co.uk by title Amazon.co.uk: A Peterhead portrait (Occasional
        publication): Books .It is listed

        A Peterhead portrait (Occasional publication) Jim Buchan

        Availability: usually dispatched within 1 to 2 working days 1 Used & New from
        £8.75
        Edition: Unknown Binding More Product Details

        george

      • Mori
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2012
          Dear Kevin and others

          I am researching vessels owned in Australia and New Zealand. Further information on this project can be found at my website at www.boatregister.net.

          So far I have located references to 13 vessels that were built at Peterhead between 1842 and 1875. I am seeking someone who would be interested in corresponding regarding the history of these vessels, in particular I am interested in establishing their builders and early history. Perhaps someone has the book "A Peterhead Portrait" handy. In exchange, I have some information about their history while in Australia and New Zealand. The vessels are:

          Schooner Rosebud 1842
          Brig Lalla Rookh 1848
          Barque Ellon Castle 1853
          Barque Leonidas 1854
          2mst Schooner Yarra 1858
          Barque Charlotte Andrews 1862
          Barque Prospector 1863
          3mst Schooner Garron 1867
          3mst Schooner Elderslie 1868
          Barquentine Rosebud 1869
          3mst Schooner Estelle 1869
          3mst Schooner Countess of Errol 1873
          3mst Schooner Lochiel of 1875

          I note that the Rosebud is the same vessel mentioned in Kevin's email.

          The Garron and Lochiel are listed in Lloyds register as being built by Stephen. Was this Stephen & Forbes?

          Any assistance would be much appreciated.

          Regards
          Mori