[Peterhead] Griffin & Carter Marriage

  • Fiona Linnertson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
      Hi

      I am at my wits end. I am trying to trace my
      GGrandfather Thomas Henry Carter born abt 1841-1843 in
      Peterhead. I have a death certificate for a Thomas
      Henry Carter in 1918 Australia and it says he was
      married to Charlotte Griffin or Griffen (this is not
      my GGrandmother)in Peterhead. There were no issue.
      His father's name was John and occupation Assayer.

      I think he may have left Scotland and come to
      Australia about 1881-1882 as my grandmothers
      certificate states her parents (Thomas Henry Carter
      and Hannah Tongue) were married in Oct 1882 but cannot
      find anything.

      Does anyone have any ideas that may help.

      Fiona

      http://au.local.yahoo.com
    • Cci
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2005
        Hi Fiona,
        I've searched Ancestry the past couple of nights for anything to do with Thomas Henry Carter in Peterhead and nothing has shown up. Not even for the surname Carter on it's own without a christian name.
        That's not to say there is'nt anything, just not on Ancestry at this time.
        If they came to Australia, you could contact some of the bigger libraries in a capital city.
        Here in Perth there is the Battye library that has a floor of just genealogy, and a lot of records to do with the sailing ships and passengers who came to the various capital cities in the 19th century.

        Go onto Scotlandspeople and see if you can find a marriage certificate for Thomas, you can get a print of it instantly.

        Best wishes,
        Catherine

        I am at my wits end. I am trying to trace my
        GGrandfather Thomas Henry Carter born abt 1841-1843 in
        Peterhead. I have a death certificate for a Thomas
        Henry Carter in 1918 Australia and it says he was
        married to Charlotte Griffin or Griffen (this is not
        my GGrandmother)in Peterhead. There were no issue.
        His father's name was John and occupation Assayer.

        I think he may have left Scotland and come to
        Australia about 1881-1882 as my grandmothers
        certificate states her parents (Thomas Henry Carter
        and Hannah Tongue) were married in Oct 1882 but cannot
        find anything.

        Does anyone have any ideas that may help.

        Fiona

        Multi family home for sale Family home finance

      • Fiona Linnertson
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2005
          Hi Catherine,

          Thank you for looking. I shall try the closest
          library that would have this sort of information
          (about 1hr 10 min drive). It just seems everywhere I
          look I find nothing but I will keep trying.

          I will try Scotlandspeople but an not quite sure on
          cost per lookups - I thought it a bit confusing -
          maybe its just me. I will try again anyway. Thanks
          again

          Fiona

          http://au.movies.yahoo.com
        • Ray Hennessy
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 10, 2005
            Fiona Linnertson wrote:

            > I will try Scotlandspeople but an not quite sure on
            > cost per lookups - I thought it a bit confusing -
            Hi Fiona

            The charging method for Scotland's People [ScP] is
            a bit confusing. The best way to look at is this:

            1. Payment
            --------------
            You have to buy 30 CREDITS [for 6 pounds sterling, or equivalent]
            to get access to the OPR, Statutory Register, Census searching.
            The payment also gives you 1 week's access to the Search facility.
            Any Credits you don't use are carried over to your next session.

            NB You don't have to pay to look again at previously viewed items.

            2. Searches
            --------------
            A search is free and you are told how many Hits have resulted.
            You can refine your search as often as you like for free. [see 4.]

            3. Looking at the Hit List
            -------------------------------
            Hits are displayed on pages of 25 Hits at a time, except the last
            page which displays however many are left.
            Each PAGE displayed costs ONE CREDIT from your stash.
            You can get a printer-friendly copy of the list for your files.
            If you ever want to look at a page again, this is for ever free!
            [We have 582 such lists and often look back as we get deeper.]

            4. HINT
            -----------
            Try to arrange your search criteria to give a multiple of 25 Hits
            or just under to maximise the benefit from your 1 credit.
            You may want to go back and look at other names on the
            hit-list later in your researching so keep a note of the search
            criteria you use and the date/time you did it. It's surprising
            how often you can find other family members this way.
            If there's only one or two hits, try omitting the Forename!

            5. Looking at Images - not available on Firefox browser.
            --------------------------
            If you see a Hit you like, you can view it as an image.
            Every IMAGE viewed costs FIVE CREDITS from your stash.
            As with Hit-lists, you can re-view any image at any time and
            they now let you browse through your list of viewed images.

            6. CAUTION
            -----------------
            Only order an "Extract" if you NEED an authorised copy for
            legal purposes. It is very expensive and may not have any extra
            data - especially true for OPR marriages. The copy of OPR
            entries is just a photocopy of the OPR page. As you can hire
            the whole film for less than half the price and you get ALL the
            data for that parish, no contest.
            Of course if you don't have access to a film reader ...

            7. Scotland's People
            -------------------------
            It's a brilliant site, constantly being updated and extended.
            I believe there isn't another site like it anywhere on the internet.

            I think that's all. If there's anything I've missed out or got
            wrong [more than likely], someone will write and correct me.

            Good hunting, and good luck

            Ray Hennessy
            www.whatsinaname.net
          • Alistair and Denise
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 10, 2005
              Ray wrote:

              > 7. Scotland's People
              > -------------------------
              > It's a brilliant site, constantly being updated and extended.
              > I believe there isn't another site like it anywhere on the internet.
              >
              > I think that's all. If there's anything I've missed out or got
              > wrong [more than likely], someone will write and correct me.

              One hundred per cent agreed!
              And here comes the correction :-)

              Regarding:

              > 5. Looking at Images - not available on Firefox browser.

              I'm not sure what you mean - I've viewed (downloaded) images using Firefox
              quite recently. It just uses different terminology from Internet Explorer.
              The results, however, are the same - a viewable .tif image of the register
              page.

              Best wishes -

              Alistair

              Interests: PIRIE
            • Fiona Linnertson
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 16, 2005
                Hi Ray

                Thank you for making it clearer. I will give it a go
                and see if I can find any trace of my family.

                Regard Fiona Linnertson

                http://au.local.yahoo.com