Gordon Highlanders

  • Carolyn Morrisey
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
      Hello everyone,

      Several months ago I advised that I had a spreadsheet containing names
      and addresses of men from the Buchan area who had volunteered to fight
      overseas in 1914. (5th Battalion Gordon Highlanders)

      This is just to let you know that this list and other material is now
      on a web site.

      Included is the original Roll ; casualty lists (names and some details
      of injuries) for the period May 1915 to Nov 1916 (cross referenced to
      the names on the Roll,) ; background information on the Battalion
      including extracts from the Buchan Observer about the mobilisation of
      the troops in the various towns and villages, and the departure from
      Peterhead in August 1914. There are also some obituaries and short
      biographies about individuals. Some of the notes that accompany the
      men's details have been added or updated since I first advised of the
      list.

      I'm rather new to web creation and it appears that some of the tables
      and photos don't display properly on old browsers - such as Netscape
      4. It certainly views best on Internet Explorer 6. If anyone has
      problems viewing something they are interested in, let me know and
      I'll see what I can do about it. The URL is:

      http://www.gordonhighlanders.carolynmorrisey.com

      If anyone has information that could be added, I'd love to hear about
      it.

      Regards

      Carolyn
    • Betty
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 17, 2005
        Hi Carolyn :)
        Good Job with your website! I just may have found a great uncle. I
        need to confirm his birthdate. Do you have any idea where I could find this
        data? Any advice appreciated.
        Thanks again,
        Elizabeth

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Carolyn Morrisey
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 17, 2005
          Hello Betty,

          I suggest that you try the 1901 census first. (Available via
          Scotlandspeople on a pay per view basis.) If your great uncle was one
          of the men whose address was supplied, you could use that to narrow the
          search. In many cases families did not move far in those days. I would
          expect most men on the lists to be born in the 1890s. (ie to be in
          their late teens or twenties.) This is a generalisation of course. You
          may have other information on this. If you can find a possible match
          on the census, you can then try for the birth certificate using the age
          and place of birth supplied on the census record. You may be happy
          just with the census information - ie, to know he was 3 in 1901 for
          example.

          If it is your great uncle, please let me know his name and any other
          information so I can include it.

          Good luck

          Carolyn

        • Betty
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 18, 2005
            Hi Carolyn
            I think I must have misspoke in my earlier question. I have his birth date.
            What I was asking was, do you know of any way to get the birthdate for the
            soldier I have found, so I can confirm it is or is not him. I was going to
            check the website for the war medals, but from what I can see, I don't
            believe they give a birthdate neither.
            I found my great uncle (from Scotland) who joined the Canadian Army. The
            govt. has the Attestment papers for the Canadian soldiers on a web-site,
            therefore it was quite easy to identify them. Thanks very much for yur
            reply.