Re: Birnie, Moir, Anderson

  • JMiklos102@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 1999
      Hi Wade
      I have found some strong connections to the above names. Re the information
      you sent to Judy Hand re Alexander Birnie, I am positive that he would be my
      ggg grandfather. My grandfather was Andrew Walker Birnie born in Peterhead
      date approx 1881. My mother and aunt remember my grandmother talking about
      Longate St. His oldest son was named William Spence Birnie (it seems that most
      of the family had middle names after maiden names in family). Also, the next
      son my grandfather had was named Alexander Wedderburn Birnie.
      My grandmother was Mary Reid Anderson (born in Peterhead approx. 1886). I am
      showing her as having two sisters Lilly Stuart Anderson (1888?), Andrew
      Anderson 1884, and Elizabeth R. Anderson 1890. I don't know how accurate this
      dates are. Following along with naming after maiden names I notice in death
      index John Anderson (1832-1857), son of George Anderson and mother's maiden
      name was Wedderburn. Could this be related? The one thing I am confused
      about is that they are showing my grandmother's father as being John Moir
      (1860?) and mother as an Anderson, but why would they have taken the Anderson
      name, yet my aunt refers to Johnny Moir? One of my uncle's middle names is
      also Sutherland. Following along with the theory of middle names if I look at
      my grandmother's middle name of Reid, in the marriage index there was a
      Margaret Reid married a Sutherland in 1863, could this be her maternal
      grandmother. Also an Eliza Reid married a Reid in 1865 and the maiden name of
      her mother was Smith. Again, a middle name of my grandmother's third son.
      The Moir family lived on a farm called Poderick.....I hope that this makes
      some sense. I am positive that with these middle names they are definitely
      connected. Could you look up both Andrew Walker Birnie and Mary Reid Anderson
      to see if you can get any information following this information.
      Also, can you check out Alexander Birnie's (1816) parents. Also the George
      Anderson - Wedderburn connection. Thanks....hope you can understand all of
      this.
      Jeannie
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 13, 1999
        Hi Jeannie,

        JMiklos102@... wrote:

        > I have found some strong connections to the above names. Re the information
        > you sent to Judy Hand re Alexander Birnie, I am positive that he would be my
        > ggg grandfather. My grandfather was Andrew Walker Birnie born in Peterhead
        > date approx 1881.

        You probably do have a connection with Judy Hand and also have a
        connection with the other names you have suggested, but I really think
        that you need to get Andrew Birnie's birth certificate to prove it all.
        If he was born in 1881 then this has been filmed by the LDS, otherwise
        you can get a copy from Edinburgh or Aberdeen Registrar.

        > Could you look up both Andrew Walker Birnie and Mary Reid Anderson
        > to see if you can get any information following this information.

        Sorry I don't have access to these records around 1881 and 1886, as I
        said earlier you should get their birth certificates or at least the
        marriage certificate which will also give parents names..

        > Also, can you check out Alexander Birnie's (1816) parents. Also the George
        > Anderson - Wedderburn connection.

        Alexander's death could be:

        No.196, Alexander Birnie, merchant (60 Longate) widower of Maria Ann
        Moir Scott, 3/12/1867, body found in sea North of Inequary?, male 53
        years, parants: James Birnie, mason (dead) and Margaret Birnie ms Bain,
        informant: Peter Birnie, not present, 7 Bath Street.

        No.88, John Anderson, seaman (single) 12/8/1857, 6h pm pm 79 Longate
        Street, male, 25 years, parents: George Anderson seaman (deceased) and
        Rachel Anderson ms Wedderburn, cause: Phthisis Pulmon, about a year,
        informant: Ann Anderson, sister, (present).

        Regards, Wade.
      • JMiklos102@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14, 1999
          Hi Wade
          death certificate and yes, he was born in 1881. Do you have any records
          available? He also had nine brothers, I know that some of the names were
          Oscar, Alexander, William, James, Joseph, Thomas. Please advise thanks again
          for your help.
          Jeannie
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14, 1999
            Hi Jeannie,

            JMiklos102@... wrote:

            > death certificate and yes, he was born in 1881. Do you have any records
            > available?

            I don't have access to anything that recent. Since I didn't see Andrew
            in the 1881 census, I would assume he was born after 8th April.

            When and where did Andrew marry? As I've suggested before, I think you
            should get his marriage and birth certificates.

            Regards, Wade.
          • JMiklos102@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 18, 1999
              Thanks Wade, can you tell me where to obtain copies of birth and marriage
              certificates and cost involved. He was married in Peterhead approx 1903.