Re: Looking for Macaulay's and others!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 1999
      Hi Christiane,

      Replied to the list, as someone as may also be interested in these
      names.

      Christiane M Readhead wrote:

      > I have been researching my Macaulay line and I know that a
      > fair few of my ancestors were in Peterhead for a time, certainly after
      > 1856 but I'm sure they lived their before then so hopefully will show
      > up on the 1851 census. Please could you send me any info from the
      > 1851 Census on the following names
      > Macaulay
      > Holmes
      > Carray or (Carray)

      1851 Census: District 11, page 36, No.163, Queen Street
      George Holmes, head, 51, Rosolis?, Rosshire
      Grace Holmes, wife, 52, Peterhead
      Agness Holmes, daughter, 15, Peterhead
      page 37, No.163
      George Holmes, nephew, 5, Peterhead
      Isabella Stevenson, grandchild, 1, Peterhead

      District 13, page 1, No.2, St.Peter Street
      Grace Holmes, servant, 19, Peterhead

      I didn't record condition or occupation columns when I transcribed and
      indexed the census. Didn't find your other names, checked different
      spellings.

      1860 Peterhead Deaths:
      No.2, Grace Holmes wife of George Holmes Blacksmith, 8th Jan. 1860 7h am
      at 8 Queen Street, female, 67 years, parents: James Stewart mason (dead)
      and Isabella Stewart ms Cow (dead), cause: Inflammation of the kidneys,
      8 days, informant: George Holmes husband (present).

      I suggest you try getting the 1856 marriage certificate, this will give
      both parents and possibly where Charles Macaulay came from (ie usual
      residence).

      Hope this helps.