Re: Leslie family research

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7 1:36 AM
      Hi Judy,

      Judy Hand wrote:

      > Would it be possible for you to check the 1851 census of Peterhead for
      > both Jane Leslie (nee Smith) and her son-in-law, Alexander Birnie. The
      > address given at Jane's death in 1856 was No. 26 Longate.

      1851 Peterhead Census: District 9, page 8, No.46, Longate Street
      Jean Smith, head, 83, Cruden

      No.47, Longate Street
      Mary Smith, wife, 48, Peterhead
      Catherine Smith, daughter, 13, Peterhead
      John Smith, son, 5, Peterhead

      Husband is John Smith, Mary nee Leslie

      Page 9, No.48, Longate Street
      Alexander Birnie, head, 35, Peterhead
      Elizabeth Birnie, wife, 33, Rathen
      Elizabeth Birnie, daughter, 4, Peterhead
      Jean Birnie, daughter, 2, Peterhead
      William Spence Birnie, son, 1, Peterhead

      > When Alexander Stewart Leslie was born to Peter and Eliza Leslie in
      > 1837, the witnesses were George Leslie and John Smith. These two are
      > the only witnesses I can tie directly to my family. Would you be able
      > to check the census for them as well, please?

      See above for possible John Smith. Only one George Leslie age 0, so not
      your George Leslie as witness in 1837.