Re: [Peterhead] Alexander Watt

  • Hazel Stevenson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2005
      Hello Alex,

      I didn't know the date for Margaret Phillip's death, but 31st March 1853 sounds right. However, I think she would be around 74, not 64, because:

      In 1841, she was living with her daughter Margaret Martin, and her age was given as 60.
      In 1851, she was listed at 92 Roanheads, age 73.
      In 1851, she was mentioned on the Poor Law Records as suffering from "scurvy and old age" and she died before 1855.

      She was admitted to the Poor Roll on May 26th 1837, which suggests that her sailor husband Alex died (or was lost, etc) just before this date. My last known record of him is as a witness, along with John Lawrance, at the baptism of his brother John's youngest son William, on 21/9/1828. (William was my 2g grandfather).

      You will know they only had the one daughter Margaret (born 16/1/1804. died 10/7/1878. buried 14/7/1878 age 73, in Lair C389 St Peter's Cemetry, Peterhead, a plot owned by the family of George Buchan, pilot).

      There was a Margaret Phillip of Cruden baptized to George Philip (or Philp) on 14/5/1782 and I think this might have been her, but if you or anyone else knows more, I would love to hear about it.

      As to the Alex Watt of Roanheads who died 13/3/1850, sadly he was only 20 months old.

      I hope this is helpful.

      Alex Ritchie <alex@...> wrote:
      For Hazel :

      Hi Hazel,
      Do you have a death date for your/our Alexander Watt ? I got an Alexander Watt from the Peterhead burial records with a date of March 13th.1850 but I couldn't make out his age.
      I've got his wife ,Margaret Philips, death as March 21st.1853. She was 64 years of age.

      Many Thanks..............Alex Ritchie.

      Visit your group "Peterhead" on the web.

      Yahoo! for Good