Simpsons/Martins etc.

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2005
      For Malcolm Simpson :

      Hi Malcolm,
      Perhaps I can make a few helpful connections for you from Catherine's information :

      John Crowther was married to George Simpson's daughter Margaret.He was also a shipmaster
      Alexander Craig was married to George Simpson's daughter Ann. (He was master of the Brig "Brilliant" and died in Calcutta January 21st.1852.)

      Robert Robertson was married to George Simpson's daughter Jane.(He died on March 1st.1873 at Sea when the "Chacabuco" of Liverpool collided with "Torch" of Dublin).

      There were two John Martins (father & son both shipmasters). John Martin Senior died in 1836. He most probably would have been the witness to the earlier events. It was John Martin Junior that was married to Margaret Watt.

      Keep in mind also Andrew Simpson who married Elizabeth Martin (sister of John Martin Jnr.) in 1828. When they married he was listed as a "seaman in North Shields" but their daughters were certainly born in Peterhead.They had two daughters, Jean Innes Simpson (b.1829) and Elizabeth Martin Simpson (b.1831). Based upon the first daughter's name, Andrew Simpson would be related to George Simpson (perhaps a brother ?). Trouble is, I can't find any trace of this family after the 1831 birth. I have tried records in England & Australia without success.they must have gone somewhere !!

      All the best...................Alex Ritchie