Re: John Watt & Margaret Masson

  • Hazel Stevenson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2005
      Hello Catherine,

      Very many thanks for your e-mails with all the Watt info.

      The family of my couple, John Watt and Margaret Masson were on your list (Andrew, I806, John 1808, Jane, 1810, Margaret, 1815, Alexander 1823 and William 1828). The latter .

      Is my 2g grandfather. The christening witnesses come from other fishing families in the Roanheads and may be related. For example, a James Lawrence married an Isobel Watt in 1820 – she might be a niece or cousin, perhaps.

      I was really interested in the earlier Watts including those from neighbouring parishes. From the 24.4.1805 OPR marriage entry, both John Watt and his wife Margaret Masson were "of this parish" of Rathen, although they raised their family in Peterhead. From the death records, I know a John Watt of Roanheads died there in November, 1840, aged 73. This means that he would have been born around 1776 and if this was my John, he married at 38. This is late for a first marriage, so maybe he was a widower and/or had another life elsewhere before settling in Peterhead. The answer might be out there somewhere!

      Hazel

      Cci <cci@...> wrote:

      Hi Hazel,
      Some more entries with Cruden and Rathen.