Re: [Peterhead] Watts of Roanhead

  • Cci
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
      Hi Hazel,
      Some more entries with Cruden and Rathen.

      Cruden
      Register of Baptisms Bairnie and Tillydesk 1763-1801
      16-5-1772 Jean Watt dau to William Watt and Margaret Black in Eastertown of Auchterless

      2-11-1774 Margaret Watt dau to William Watt and Margaret Black in Eastertown of Auchterless

      Rathen
      20-2-1835 Alexander Watt, Schoolmaster at Cairnbulg, parish of Rathen

      William Willox Watt and Margaret Fraser both of the parish of Rathen, married
      4-6-1881 by W.W. Hawdon

      25-11-1832 Alexander Taylor parish of Rathen, Fisherman in Cairnbulg to Rebecca Watt of the said place and parish at the Chapel of Lonmay

      26-5-1832 Birnie Watt, Farmer, son of Watt, Mains of Cairnbulg to Jessie Birnie of Cairnbulg, Parish of Rathen

      18-4-1839 Alexander Watt, Tailor in Cairnbulg parish of Rathen a dau Elizabeth Mason

      22-9-1843 Simon Watt, Shoemaker in Cairnbulg parish of Rathen

      16-5-1838 Jessie Birnie Watt, widow of Birnie Watt parish of rathen age 27 years, Burial

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2005
        Hi Catherine,
        I often see you sending out reams of material to people "not
        in my family". In your information on the Watts family I see an Alexander
        Simpson as a witness mentioned a few times.I wonder if you have any
        information on this gentleman as he might possibly be part of my family
        tree.George Milne crops upfrequently as a witness to many of my antecedents.
        George Simpson(whaling master) married Margaret Buchan 1816, Peterhead is
        my earliest Simpson ancestor I can trace.
        Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        Best Wishes,Malcolm Simpson.
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2005
          Hi Malcolm,
          I'll start with this, your message came in here very late so I'll send the rest another day.
          Some are of George Simpson as witness to other baptisms.
          Best wishes,
          Catherine

          David McDonald, Seaman in Peterhead a dau Isabella Law, born 7-2-1844 bap 11-2-1844
          before George Simpson and William Gordon

          21-9-1822 Daniel Ross, Sailor in Peterhead a dau Helen
          witnesses George Simpson and John Martin

          Robert Robertson, Ship master in Peterhead and Jane Simpson his wife a dau Janet
          born 26-5-1850 bap 3-7-1850
          before Thomas Robertson and George Simpson

          George Simpson, Ship master in Peterhead a dau Helen bap 3-11-1836
          before George Milne and George Martin

          John Martin, Ship master in Peterhead a son Alexander
          born 26-9-1839 bap 27-9-1839
          before George Simpson and David Stephen

          29-7-1832 George Simpson, Ship master in Peterhead a dau Mary Hutchison
          witnesses George Milne and John Stephen

          28-11-1824 George Simpson, Ship master in Peterhead a dau Ann
          witnesses William Innes snr and jnr

> [...]
          > wit John May and Robert Sellar
          >
          > 6-5-1810 John Watt a son William
          > wit Geroge Watt and Thomas Forrest
          >
          > Marjory Galloway relic of John Watt in Logie 4-1-1781 (marriages)
          >
          > 21-9-1828 John Watt, Fisherman in Peterhead a son William
          > wit John Lawrence and Alexander Watt
          >
          > John Watt in Haugh 13-4-1785 (marriages)
          >
          > 18-5-1751 Alexander Watt in Mains of Cairnbulg a son John
          >
          > 15-4-1801 John Watt, Weaver in Peterhead a son John
          > wit John Robertson and Alexander Simpson
          >
          > 1-10-1821 John Watt a son George
          > wit George Milne and Alexander Birny
          >
          > John Watt 8-12-1862 age 34 years (burial) Aberdeen
          >
          > John Watt, Portioner in Easter Glentore parish of New Monkland 12-8-1670
          (marriages)

          > John Watt, Smith in Hill of Ardoche parish of Cardross 26-7-1619
          (marriages)

          > John Watt in Hill of Clune 30-8-1764 (marriages)

          Service.

          ----

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --

        • Hazel Stevenson
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2005
            Hello everyone,

            Thanks for all your help, particularly Catherine for all her Watt research.

            Malcolm - I'm not sure if this is any help to you to find possible family connections, but I note that Alexander Simpson was a witness to John Watt, bapt. 15/4/1801, who died at sea 3/6/1828 and to his brother Alexander, bapt 29/9/1805, died 15/3/1892. They were sons of John Watt, weaver, (born ab 1776/1777 in Peterhead and died there 26.2.1816) - and Susan Robertson of Longside, b 1781, died 9/5/1846 age 65. There were other children in this Watt family and I can give details if required, but I can't see any obvious Simpson connection.

            Alex - Thanks - I knew about the Jane Buchan/John Martin line, but didn't know about George Simpson/ Margaret Buchan. As the fishing/seafaring folk were closely related, every bit of info is potentially useful.

            Hazel

            "malcolm.simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:
> [...]
            > wit John May and Robert Sellar
            >
            > 6-5-1810 John Watt a son William
            > wit Geroge Watt and Thomas Forrest
            >
            > Marjory Galloway relic of John Watt in Logie 4-1-1781 (marriages)
            >
            > 21-9-1828 John Watt, Fisherman in Peterhead a son William
            > wit John Lawrence and Alexander Watt
            >
            > John Watt in Haugh 13-4-1785 (marriages)
            >
            > 18-5-1751 Alexander Watt in Mains of Cairnbulg a son John
            >
            > 15-4-1801 John Watt, Weaver in Peterhead a son John
            > wit John Robertson and Alexander Simpson
            >
            > 1-10-1821 John Watt a son George
            > wit George Milne and Alexander Birny
            >
            > John Watt 8-12-1862 age 34 years (burial) Aberdeen
            >
            > John Watt, Portioner in Easter Glentore parish of New Monkland 12-8-1670
            (marriages)

            > John Watt, Smith in Hill of Ardoche parish of Cardross 26-7-1619
            (marriages)

            > John Watt in Hill of Clune 30-8-1764 (marriages)

            Service.

            ----

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --

          • Cci
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 15, 2005
              Hi Malcolm,
              I found a Simpson on the 1871 census for England.
              Might/might not be one of your family.
              Best wishes,
              Catherine

              Hetton le Hole, Durham
              Charles Smith, head, mar, 25, Durham
              Ann Smith, wife, mar, 16, Durham
              Sarah Simpson, boarder, 78, Peterhead

              Ann is listed as a neice to Sarah Simpson

> [...]
              > wit John May and Robert Sellar
              >
              > 6-5-1810 John Watt a son William
              > wit Geroge Watt and Thomas Forrest
              >
              > Marjory Galloway relic of John Watt in Logie 4-1-1781 (marriages)
              >
              > 21-9-1828 John Watt, Fisherman in Peterhead a son William
              > wit John Lawrence and Alexander Watt
              >
              > John Watt in Haugh 13-4-1785 (marriages)
              >
              > 18-5-1751 Alexander Watt in Mains of Cairnbulg a son John
              >
              > 15-4-1801 John Watt, Weaver in Peterhead a son John
              > wit John Robertson and Alexander Simpson
              >
              > 1-10-1821 John Watt a son George
              > wit George Milne and Alexander Birny
              >
              > John Watt 8-12-1862 age 34 years (burial) Aberdeen
              >
              > John Watt, Portioner in Easter Glentore parish of New Monkland 12-8-1670
              (marriages)

              > John Watt, Smith in Hill of Ardoche parish of Cardross 26-7-1619
              (marriages)

              > John Watt in Hill of Clune 30-8-1764 (marriages)

              Service.

              ----

              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              > --

            • Cci
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 15, 2005
                Hi Malcolm,
                Another Simpson record.

                William Simpson
                arrival date; 24-2-1914
                age; 26
                birth year abt; 1888
                port of departure; Glasgow Scotland and Moville Ireland
                ship; Numidian
                port of arrival; Maine Portland
                friends name; Gregor Simpson
                birthplace; Peterhead Scotland

> [...]
                > wit John May and Robert Sellar
                >
                > 6-5-1810 John Watt a son William
                > wit Geroge Watt and Thomas Forrest
                >
                > Marjory Galloway relic of John Watt in Logie 4-1-1781 (marriages)
                >
                > 21-9-1828 John Watt, Fisherman in Peterhead a son William
                > wit John Lawrence and Alexander Watt
                >
                > John Watt in Haugh 13-4-1785 (marriages)
                >
                > 18-5-1751 Alexander Watt in Mains of Cairnbulg a son John
                >
                > 15-4-1801 John Watt, Weaver in Peterhead a son John
                > wit John Robertson and Alexander Simpson
                >
                > 1-10-1821 John Watt a son George
                > wit George Milne and Alexander Birny
                >
                > John Watt 8-12-1862 age 34 years (burial) Aberdeen
                >
                > John Watt, Portioner in Easter Glentore parish of New Monkland 12-8-1670
                (marriages)

                > John Watt, Smith in Hill of Ardoche parish of Cardross 26-7-1619
                (marriages)

                > John Watt in Hill of Clune 30-8-1764 (marriages)

                Service.