Legitimacy

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2005
      For Betty :

      My experience has been that, for Parish Record Births etc., it very much depended upon which Parish (and Minister/Kirk Session) as to what information was recorded. Peterhead Parish seems particularly "guilty" of not giving the mother's name even where no "shady details" applied. This was specially true the further back you go.
      I've also noticed that Records of the Episcopal Church are much more likely to give you both Father & Mother, as well as Birth and Baptism dates.

      As to the 3 children not being at home on the Census night, could it be that they were staying over with grandparents or other family members on that night ? I've encountered that several times in my researches.

      Alex Ritchie.