RE: [Peterhead] question of legitimacy

  • colin collie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
      Hi'
      I have found this quite common in the north/east registrations. Some of the
      registrars seemed only to put in the fathers name.
      Cheers
      Colin

      >From: "hummingbirds99m" <emurphy@...>
      >To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Peterhead] question of legitimacy
      >Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:42:08 -0000
      >
      >In the 1830's and 40's would it have been common to have ONLY
      >father's
      >name listed in baptisms and births? I have a family with 9 children,
      >with 6 of them having only the father's name listed. The other 3 were
      >found with both both parents. I have run all 9 through the IGI.
      >Hope someone can answer this question for me.
      >Thank you
      >Betty

    • Shirley Dickie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
        With regards to your message below. Registrars were not employed to record
        births deaths and marriages in Scotland till 1855. So they were not to blame
        for not recording the mothers name in many of the NE Old Parish Records.

        Shirley