Leslie family research

  • Judy Hand
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 1999
      Dear Wade,

      Thanks you so much for looking up Jane Leslie for me - now I know where
      the name Birnie fitted into the family tree, which had been puzzling me.
      I am now convinced that Jane was my ancestor, rather than just thinking
      so!

      Thanks once again,
      Judy Hand
    • Judy Hand
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 1999
        Dear Wade,

        Would it be possible for you to check the 1851 census of Peterhead for
        both Jane Leslie (nee Smith) and her son-in-law, Alexander Birnie. The
        address given at Jane's death in 1856 was No. 26 Longate.

        When Alexander Stewart Leslie was born to Peter and Eliza Leslie in
        1837, the witnesses were George Leslie and John Smith. These two are
        the only witnesses I can tie directly to my family. Would you be able
        to check the census for them as well, please?

        Once again, thank you, Wade, for your help is invaluable.

        Regards,
        Judy Hand
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 1999
          Hi Judy,

          Judy Hand wrote:

          > Would it be possible for you to check the 1851 census of Peterhead for
          > both Jane Leslie (nee Smith) and her son-in-law, Alexander Birnie. The
          > address given at Jane's death in 1856 was No. 26 Longate.

          1851 Peterhead Census: District 9, page 8, No.46, Longate Street
          Jean Smith, head, 83, Cruden

          No.47, Longate Street
          Mary Smith, wife, 48, Peterhead
          Catherine Smith, daughter, 13, Peterhead
          John Smith, son, 5, Peterhead

          Husband is John Smith, Mary nee Leslie

          Page 9, No.48, Longate Street
          Alexander Birnie, head, 35, Peterhead
          Elizabeth Birnie, wife, 33, Rathen
          Elizabeth Birnie, daughter, 4, Peterhead
          Jean Birnie, daughter, 2, Peterhead
          William Spence Birnie, son, 1, Peterhead

          > When Alexander Stewart Leslie was born to Peter and Eliza Leslie in
          > 1837, the witnesses were George Leslie and John Smith. These two are
          > the only witnesses I can tie directly to my family. Would you be able
          > to check the census for them as well, please?

          See above for possible John Smith. Only one George Leslie age 0, so not
          your George Leslie as witness in 1837.