Re: Leslie family research

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 1999
      Hi Judy,

      Judy Hand wrote:

      > I have been searching your death index and think I may have overlooked a
      > possible lead. I believe Jane Leslie (nee Smith) was my ggg
      > grandmother. The Ref. No. is 27. Would you be able to give me the
      > details, please?

      1856 Peterhead Death
      No.27, Jane Leslie (widow), 26/2/1856 7h 45m pm at no.26 Longate,
      female, 89 years, parents: James Smith blacksmith (deceased) and Ann
      Smith ms Allan (deceased), cause: debility, buried Churchyard of
      Peterhead, informant: Alexander Birnie, son-in-law (present).

      Regards, Wade.
    • Judy Hand
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 1999
        Dear Wade,

        Thanks you so much for looking up Jane Leslie for me - now I know where
        the name Birnie fitted into the family tree, which had been puzzling me.
        I am now convinced that Jane was my ancestor, rather than just thinking
        so!

        Thanks once again,
        Judy Hand
      • Judy Hand
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 1999
          Dear Wade,

          Would it be possible for you to check the 1851 census of Peterhead for
          both Jane Leslie (nee Smith) and her son-in-law, Alexander Birnie. The
          address given at Jane's death in 1856 was No. 26 Longate.

          When Alexander Stewart Leslie was born to Peter and Eliza Leslie in
          1837, the witnesses were George Leslie and John Smith. These two are
          the only witnesses I can tie directly to my family. Would you be able
          to check the census for them as well, please?

          Once again, thank you, Wade, for your help is invaluable.

          Regards,
          Judy Hand
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 1999
            Hi Judy,

            Judy Hand wrote:

            > Would it be possible for you to check the 1851 census of Peterhead for
            > both Jane Leslie (nee Smith) and her son-in-law, Alexander Birnie. The
            > address given at Jane's death in 1856 was No. 26 Longate.

            1851 Peterhead Census: District 9, page 8, No.46, Longate Street
            Jean Smith, head, 83, Cruden

            No.47, Longate Street
            Mary Smith, wife, 48, Peterhead
            Catherine Smith, daughter, 13, Peterhead
            John Smith, son, 5, Peterhead

            Husband is John Smith, Mary nee Leslie

            Page 9, No.48, Longate Street
            Alexander Birnie, head, 35, Peterhead
            Elizabeth Birnie, wife, 33, Rathen
            Elizabeth Birnie, daughter, 4, Peterhead
            Jean Birnie, daughter, 2, Peterhead
            William Spence Birnie, son, 1, Peterhead

            > When Alexander Stewart Leslie was born to Peter and Eliza Leslie in
            > 1837, the witnesses were George Leslie and John Smith. These two are
            > the only witnesses I can tie directly to my family. Would you be able
            > to check the census for them as well, please?

            See above for possible John Smith. Only one George Leslie age 0, so not
            your George Leslie as witness in 1837.