Leslie family research

  • Judy Hand
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 1999
      Dear Wade,

      I have been searching your death index and think I may have overlooked a
      possible lead. I believe Jane Leslie (nee Smith) was my ggg
      grandmother. The Ref. No. is 27. Would you be able to give me the
      details, please?

      Many thanks,
      Judy Hand
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 1999
        Hi Judy,

        Judy Hand wrote:

        > I have been searching your death index and think I may have overlooked a
        > possible lead. I believe Jane Leslie (nee Smith) was my ggg
        > grandmother. The Ref. No. is 27. Would you be able to give me the
        > details, please?

        1856 Peterhead Death
        No.27, Jane Leslie (widow), 26/2/1856 7h 45m pm at no.26 Longate,
        female, 89 years, parents: James Smith blacksmith (deceased) and Ann
        Smith ms Allan (deceased), cause: debility, buried Churchyard of
        Peterhead, informant: Alexander Birnie, son-in-law (present).

        Regards, Wade.
      • Judy Hand
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 1999
          Dear Wade,

          Thanks you so much for looking up Jane Leslie for me - now I know where
          the name Birnie fitted into the family tree, which had been puzzling me.
          I am now convinced that Jane was my ancestor, rather than just thinking
          so!

          Thanks once again,
          Judy Hand
        • Judy Hand
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 1999
            Dear Wade,

            Would it be possible for you to check the 1851 census of Peterhead for
            both Jane Leslie (nee Smith) and her son-in-law, Alexander Birnie. The
            address given at Jane's death in 1856 was No. 26 Longate.

            When Alexander Stewart Leslie was born to Peter and Eliza Leslie in
            1837, the witnesses were George Leslie and John Smith. These two are
            the only witnesses I can tie directly to my family. Would you be able
            to check the census for them as well, please?

            Once again, thank you, Wade, for your help is invaluable.

            Regards,
            Judy Hand
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7, 1999
              Hi Judy,

              Judy Hand wrote:

              > Would it be possible for you to check the 1851 census of Peterhead for
              > both Jane Leslie (nee Smith) and her son-in-law, Alexander Birnie. The
              > address given at Jane's death in 1856 was No. 26 Longate.

              1851 Peterhead Census: District 9, page 8, No.46, Longate Street
              Jean Smith, head, 83, Cruden

              No.47, Longate Street
              Mary Smith, wife, 48, Peterhead
              Catherine Smith, daughter, 13, Peterhead
              John Smith, son, 5, Peterhead

              Husband is John Smith, Mary nee Leslie

              Page 9, No.48, Longate Street
              Alexander Birnie, head, 35, Peterhead
              Elizabeth Birnie, wife, 33, Rathen
              Elizabeth Birnie, daughter, 4, Peterhead
              Jean Birnie, daughter, 2, Peterhead
              William Spence Birnie, son, 1, Peterhead

              > When Alexander Stewart Leslie was born to Peter and Eliza Leslie in
              > 1837, the witnesses were George Leslie and John Smith. These two are
              > the only witnesses I can tie directly to my family. Would you be able
              > to check the census for them as well, please?

              See above for possible John Smith. Only one George Leslie age 0, so not
              your George Leslie as witness in 1837.