Re: [Peterhead] Milne, Alexander

  • Marion La Rooij
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11 3:34 AM
      Hi Catherine,

      Thanks again for your help. I am awash with MILNE's & threatening to sink! Alexander was born Peterhead 1826. His brother Peter was born 1809, William was born 1810, George was born 1829. I believe William, Peter & George may have died as infants or young. Alex was bro-in-law to William ABERNETHY, shipmaster, born c1809. Another brother John, I have located. There was also a family interest in a brig called 'Eliza.'
      Cheers,
      Marion

      Hi Marion, Catherine here.
      I looked on Ancestry, there were three Alexander Milne's that I typed in as Merchants since you said, shop.
      Alexander Milne married to Margaret Cowie, Alexander B. Milne married to Jessie Gibson, Alexander Minle married to Elizabeth Ross.
      There's an Alexander Milne a Mason.
      Are one of these yours.
      I can send you some details if you know which one.
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11 5:27 PM
        Hi Marion, how are you.
        I only found one of the names you stated, Alexander but I looked on the IGI and for Alexander Milne born 1826 the father was George Milne. Here's what Ancestry had.

        5-2-1826 George Milne, Cooper in Peterhead a son Alexander. witness Thomas Philip and George Simpson.

        11-5-1828 George Milne, Cooper in Peterheaed a son George. witness John Souttar and John Gray

        29-4-1821 George Milne, Cooper in Peterhead a dau Isabella. witness John Thom and William Mitchell

        23-11-1823 George Milne, Cooper in Peterhead a son John. witness John Souttar and Thomas Philip

        10-9-1816 George Milne, Cooper in Peterhead a dau Janet. witness James Simpson and Alexander Skene

        4-4-1819 George Milne, Cooper in Peterhead a son George. witness William Mitchell and John Souttar
        **********************
        Geroge Milne was also witness to other families children, eg.

        Robert Allan, Cooper in Peterhead
        George Watt, Cooper in Peterhead

        30-6-1822 Andrew Milne, Cooper in Peterhead a dau Elizabeth. witness George Milne and William Mitchell

        13-11-1825 Andrew Milne, late Cooper in Peterhead a son William. witness George Milne and William Mitchell.
        (Andrew might be a brother to George, both being Coopers)

        William Mitchell witness on some of the entries was also a Cooper in Peterhead.

        Hope this helps a bit.
        Best wishes,

        Message 3 of 5 , May 11 7:13 PM
          Hi Catherine & thanks again. Yes that is the one. I am a bit bewildered about all these coopers, as witnesses, obviously friends if not relatives. I am tracking from information in Wills so going back & forwards. There is a grandchild with Mitchell as a middle name so perhaps some relationship there. But perhaps they are all related, there are enough MILNEs!
          Cheers,
          Marion