Gibson Willox Anderson Mason

  • Pat & Peter Campbell
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2005
      I am researching the above names for a friend. Hope to find someone
      researching these lines.

      Alexander Gray GIBSON born 1895 Peterhead wife Bella Jane ANDERSON born 1892
      Peterhead. They married in New Zealand in 1925. Bella came out to New
      Zealand with parents, and Alexander came out to New Zealand without parents
      who remained in Peterhead area.

      Alexander's parents Mary Ann WILLOX and Forbes Macdonald GIBSON.
      Forbes was a sailor in Peterhead. These parents died in Peterhead area.

      Bella's parents Isabella MASON and James Robertson ANDERSON. James was an
      Ironmonger, Peterhead. These parents died in New Zealand.

      Any help would be much appreciated.

      Pat Campbell
      New Zealand
    • Ray Hennessy
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2005
        Hi Pat

        Re your Mary Ann WILLOX.
        -------------------------------------
        We have an odd link to a WILLOX family.

        James WILLOX was born around 1845/46.
        In 1881 he's at School Hill, Lonmay, farming 32 acres.
        He has his mother and several children living with him.
        One child is Ann WILLOX aged 7, so born in 1873/4.

        We don't know what happened to James's children as our
        line is from Annie SMITH whom James married in Nov
        1881. They were close neighbours and Annie had been
        looking after her elderly father who died in mid 1881. At
        this time Annie SMITH had three children but hadn't married.
        One of those children was Sheena's grandfather.

        We have seen the Kirk Session records. Annie asked the
        local Church of Scotland for absolution of her earlier "sins"
        in 1876[ish] but was told to go back to her church - the
        Free Church - and, if they wouldn't deal with it, to return
        and the CoS would try to do something for her.
        Nothing further was heard from her for five years.

        In 1881/2, after her father's death and her marriage to James
        WILLOX, she again asked the CoS for absolution. They
        considered that as she had led a blameless life for 7 years
        and had recently contracted a marriage to a man of good
        standing, she should be so absolved.

        In later years "Grannie Willox" as she became known to
        the family, although she had no children of that name,
        became the pillar of rectitude for the family and
        fiercely guarded everyone else's morals!!

        Don't know if this is associated with your Mary Ann WILLOX.
        She had a child in 1895 when our Ann WILLOX was about 21.

        Could there be a link? Stranger things have ... :-))

        Best wishes

        Ray & Sheena Hennessy
        www.whatsinaname.net

        >I am researching the above names for a friend. Hope to find someone
        > researching these lines.
        >
        > Alexander Gray GIBSON born 1895 Peterhead wife Bella Jane ANDERSON
        > born 1892
        > Peterhead. They married in New Zealand in 1925. Bella came out to
        > New
        > Zealand with parents, and Alexander came out to New Zealand without
        > parents
        > who remained in Peterhead area.
        >
        > Alexander's parents Mary Ann WILLOX and Forbes Macdonald GIBSON.
        > Forbes was a sailor in Peterhead. These parents died in Peterhead
        > area.
        >
        > Bella's parents Isabella MASON and James Robertson ANDERSON. James
        > was an
        > Ironmonger, Peterhead. These parents died in New Zealand.
        >
        > Any help would be much appreciated.
        >
        > Pat Campbell
        > New Zealand

      • Pat & Peter Campbell
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2005
          Hi Ray & Sheena,

          Thank you for your reply re the WILLOX family. I will keep these details on
          file in case I find a connection to your James WILLOX family.

          I can't see that they would have had a daughter named Ann and one named Mary
          Ann.

          Cheers,
          Pat Campbell
          New Zealand
        • Ray Hennessy
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2005
            Pat Campbell wrote:

            > Hi Ray & Sheena,
            >
            > Thank you for your reply re the WILLOX family. I will keep these
            > details on file in case I find a connection to your James WILLOX
            > family.
            >
            > I can't see that they would have had a daughter named Ann and
            > one named Mary Ann.
            >
            > Cheers, Pat Campbell New Zealand

            Hi Pat,
            I agree with your last comment, but we have often found that
            individuals can gain or lose parts of their name during their official
            life. As you didn't give dates, I just thought it worth posting the
            data.

            Good hunting

            Ray Hennessy