Re: [Peterhead] MURRAY/JOHNSON/BRUCE/STRACHAN/THOMSON

  • Cci
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2005
      Hi Marion,
      I'm busy for the next few nights, but bit by bit, I'll see what there is and post it to you.
      Here's what I found on John Murray. There's more than 1 so you might know which is yours.
      There was nothing for Bruce before 1806, heaps for the Bruce names after that.
      There was nothing for Samuel Johnston.
      2 entries for Alexander Murray and Christian Bruce.
      4 entries for Charles Thomson.
      I'll post what else I find another night.
      Best wishes,
      Catherine

      CHARLES THOMSON
      8-9-1822 Charles Thomson, Labourer in Peterhead a son David
      witnesses William Allan and Thomas Johnston

      21-12-1815 Charles Thomson, Labourer in Peterhead a dau Margaret
      witnesses William Allan and William Hay

      12-6-1825 Charles Thomson, Labourer in Peterhead a son Adam
      witnesses William Alland and John Thomson

      18-6-1816 Charles Thomson, Labourer in Peterhead a son William
      witnesses William Allan and Charles Forrest

      ALEXANDER MURRAY and CHRISTIAN BRUCE
      Alexander Murray, Tinsmith in Peteread and Christian Bruce his wife a son George
      born 12-6-1845 bap 29-6-1845 before Free Kirk Congregation

      Alexander Murray, Tinsmith in Peterhead and Christian Bruce his wife an son James
      born 22-11-1849 bap 30-12-1849
      before Free Kirk Congregation
      *************************************

      JOHN MURRAY
      20-10-1815 John Murray, labourer in Peterhead a son Alexander
      witnesses Peter and John Beaton

      John Murray, Seaman in Peteread a son George Simpson
      witnesses William Saunders and Alexander Allan

      John Murray, Seaman in Peterhead a son John bap 13-11-1836
      before William Saunders and William Simpson

      13-1-1818 John Murray, Weaver in Peterhead a dau Isabella
      witnesses William Murray and James Walker

      John Murray, Labourer in Peterhead a dau Isabel bap 22-10-1824
      witnesses Peter and John Beaton

      John Murray, Seaman in Peterhead a son Alexander born 18-8-1839 bap 28-8-1839
      before John Taylor and William Saunders

      John Murray, Seaman in Peterhead a son Wiiliam Saunders bap June or July 1833
      before Elizabeth Murray and William Saunders

      19-8-1818 John Murray a dau Elizabeth
      witnesses William Murray and James Walker

      1-7-1816 John Murray, Labourer in Peterhea a son Hugh
      witnesses William Scott and James May

      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2005
        Hi Catherine,

        This is just great, I am so pleased to get this, please don't apologise for taking time! The John MURRAY is the labourer one. He was a Linen Hand Loom Weaver.
        Some of the others may not have moved to Peterhead at that time. I find the lack of a full 1851 census index difficult too, as I sure everyone does, when they could be anywhere. The partial 1851 was a goldmine though & it's wonderful to have the full 1841.
        Many thanks again.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 5, 2005
          Hi Marion, how are you.

          I went through the remaining names but found nothing for George Bruce, all the dates were or 1806 and later.
          Nothing for Samuel Johnston and that was for all of Aberdeenshire.
          There were some Masson's in Peterhead but not a James.
          Nothing for Peter Still. The only 'Still' listed was a James Still, a seaman.
          If you have a Mormon Family History Library near you, you can hire the Peterhead OPR film, there might be more on it with your family names.

          Good luck with your family tree Marion.

          Best wishes,
          Catherine

          Message 4 of 10 , May 5, 2005
            Hi Catherine,

            I'm fine thanks. Another lovely day in what should be winter, which is fine with me!
            George BRUCE was in Peterheard in 1841, that's the last sighting. I assume he died before 1855 as he was already 79 in 1841. If that was his correct age. Haven't found him to identify in a lair though.
            We do have an LDS but got no further. The Samuel JOHNSTONs snr & jnr are very elusive. Thank you for searching, at least have eliminated that as a further source which is good to know. I still have other people further back to do, MILNE etc. so no lack of things to do.

            Cheers,
            Marion