Re: [Peterhead] MURRAY/JOHNSON/BRUCE/STRACHAN/THOMSON

  • Cci
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1 3:11 AM
      Hi Marion, Catherine here, how are you.

      On Ancestry there are two William Strachan's for Peterhead.
      One is a Merchant and one is a Fisherman.

      I had a quick look on the IGI, is your William Strachan married to Helen Murray. If so there are 13 entries of baptism entries for William and Helen on Ancestry.
      I don't mind sending them to you, just please reply.

      Best wishes,
      Catherine

      Message 2 of 10 , May 1 3:16 AM
        Hi Catherine,

        Many thanks, it is the Wm, merchant & Helen MURRAY one. I found one dau, Amelia who was in St Heliers. on the site. Cannot find any deaths on Scotlandspeople so far..
        Marion

          Message 4 of 10 , May 1 4:49 AM
            William Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead a dau, Amelia Fredrica Augusta William, born 24-4 1841, bap 2-5-1841
            before Robert Millar and William Strachan jnr

            William Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead a dau, Ada Augusta Phyliss Victoria, born 14-2-1843, bap 5-3-1843
            before Robert Millar and William Strachan jnr

            8-8-1832 William Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead a son Albert Thomas Frederick William
            witnesses Robert Millar and Thomas Strachan

            William Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead a son Alexander Victoria bap 11-6-1837
            before John and Robert Murray

            24-7-1825 William Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead a son William
            witneses Alexander Murray and Thomas Strachan

            26-2-1824 William Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead a child (as in reg) William cath, Heetor.
            witnesses Alexander Murray and Robert Imlay

            31-8-1817 William Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead a son Thomas
            witnesses Robert Millar and Thomas Strachan

            21-10-1815 William Strachan, Clothier in Peterhead a son Frederick William
            witnesses Alexander and John Murray

            William Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead a dau Eve Priscilla bap 27-12-1835
            before John Murray and Robert Miller

            William Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead a dau Priscilla William bap 5-1-1834
            before Robert Milne and Thomas Strachan

            William Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead a son Alexander Victoria born 1-4-1839 bap 14-4-1839
            before Robert Miller and William Strachan jnr

            William Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead and Helen Murray his wife a son Alfred Frederick
            born 29-5-1845 bap 7-6-1845
            before William and Frederick Strachan

            7-12-1828 William Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead a dau Helen Matilda
            witnesses William and thomas Strachan

            THOMAS STRACHAN
            11-6-1826 Thomas Strachan, Clothier in Peterhead a dau Georgina Jane Amelia
            witnesses John Murray and William Strachan

            7-3-1824 Thomas Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead a son William
            witnesses William Strachan and Robert Imlay

            21-3-1819 Thomas Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead a dau catherine Hector
            witnesses William Boyd and William Penny

            29-10-1817 Thomas Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead a son Thomas
            witnesses James Blaik and James Rhind

            10-3-1822 Thomas Strachan, Merchant in Peterhead a dau Ann
            witnesses James Rhind and James Blaik

            Marion, what other names are you looking for, please include Christian names with the surnames.

            Message 5 of 10 , May 1 5:19 AM
              Catherine this is wonderful, thank you so much, the witnesses names also are a big help. They seem a little confused as to sex! Alexander Victoria became Alexandrina Victoria..I thought!
              I am looking for lots! I have information on them but looking for further on the families, missing people etc.
              Main families I am looking for:
              John MURRAY, wife Jean MILNE.
              George BRUCE born c1762 (alive in 1841) & Ann JOHNSTON (she died 1863)
              Samuel JOHNSTON born c1767 may have died young.
              Alexander MURRAY (son of John) & Christian BRUCE
              Charles THOMSON & Mary Margaret ALLAN
              Elizabeth THOMSON & James MASSON
              Peter STILL (Rector of Peterheard Academy, nothing else known) & Joan MURRAY, (looking for burials of their chn. All but one seem to have died)
              I have many from the 1841 census although chn may have died. Also where only the father's name is given not too sure of some of the chn either so trying to verify the parentage.
              These people all believed to have died in Peterhead.
              Cheers,
              Marion

              Message 6 of 10 , May 1 6:52 AM
                Hi Marion,
                I'm busy for the next few nights, but bit by bit, I'll see what there is and post it to you.
                Here's what I found on John Murray. There's more than 1 so you might know which is yours.
                There was nothing for Bruce before 1806, heaps for the Bruce names after that.
                There was nothing for Samuel Johnston.
                2 entries for Alexander Murray and Christian Bruce.
                4 entries for Charles Thomson.
                I'll post what else I find another night.
                Best wishes,
                Catherine

                CHARLES THOMSON
                8-9-1822 Charles Thomson, Labourer in Peterhead a son David
                witnesses William Allan and Thomas Johnston

                21-12-1815 Charles Thomson, Labourer in Peterhead a dau Margaret
                witnesses William Allan and William Hay

                12-6-1825 Charles Thomson, Labourer in Peterhead a son Adam
                witnesses William Alland and John Thomson

                18-6-1816 Charles Thomson, Labourer in Peterhead a son William
                witnesses William Allan and Charles Forrest

                ALEXANDER MURRAY and CHRISTIAN BRUCE
                Alexander Murray, Tinsmith in Peteread and Christian Bruce his wife a son George
                born 12-6-1845 bap 29-6-1845 before Free Kirk Congregation

                Alexander Murray, Tinsmith in Peterhead and Christian Bruce his wife an son James
                born 22-11-1849 bap 30-12-1849
                before Free Kirk Congregation
                *************************************

                JOHN MURRAY
                20-10-1815 John Murray, labourer in Peterhead a son Alexander
                witnesses Peter and John Beaton

                John Murray, Seaman in Peteread a son George Simpson
                witnesses William Saunders and Alexander Allan

                John Murray, Seaman in Peterhead a son John bap 13-11-1836
                before William Saunders and William Simpson

                13-1-1818 John Murray, Weaver in Peterhead a dau Isabella
                witnesses William Murray and James Walker

                John Murray, Labourer in Peterhead a dau Isabel bap 22-10-1824
                witnesses Peter and John Beaton

                John Murray, Seaman in Peterhead a son Alexander born 18-8-1839 bap 28-8-1839
                before John Taylor and William Saunders

                John Murray, Seaman in Peterhead a son Wiiliam Saunders bap June or July 1833
                before Elizabeth Murray and William Saunders

                19-8-1818 John Murray a dau Elizabeth
                witnesses William Murray and James Walker

                1-7-1816 John Murray, Labourer in Peterhea a son Hugh
                witnesses William Scott and James May

                Message 7 of 10 , May 1 2:32 PM
                  Hi Catherine,

                  This is just great, I am so pleased to get this, please don't apologise for taking time! The John MURRAY is the labourer one. He was a Linen Hand Loom Weaver.
                  Some of the others may not have moved to Peterhead at that time. I find the lack of a full 1851 census index difficult too, as I sure everyone does, when they could be anywhere. The partial 1851 was a goldmine though & it's wonderful to have the full 1841.
                  Many thanks again.

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 5 12:31 AM
                    Hi Marion, how are you.

                    I went through the remaining names but found nothing for George Bruce, all the dates were or 1806 and later.
                    Nothing for Samuel Johnston and that was for all of Aberdeenshire.
                    There were some Masson's in Peterhead but not a James.
                    Nothing for Peter Still. The only 'Still' listed was a James Still, a seaman.
                    If you have a Mormon Family History Library near you, you can hire the Peterhead OPR film, there might be more on it with your family names.

                    Good luck with your family tree Marion.

                    Best wishes,
                    Catherine

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 5 3:01 AM
                      Hi Catherine,

                      I'm fine thanks. Another lovely day in what should be winter, which is fine with me!
                      George BRUCE was in Peterheard in 1841, that's the last sighting. I assume he died before 1855 as he was already 79 in 1841. If that was his correct age. Haven't found him to identify in a lair though.
                      We do have an LDS but got no further. The Samuel JOHNSTONs snr & jnr are very elusive. Thank you for searching, at least have eliminated that as a further source which is good to know. I still have other people further back to do, MILNE etc. so no lack of things to do.

                      Cheers,
                      Marion