Re: [Peterhead] 1914 Buchan Observer list of names

  • Shona Henderson
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 25, 2005
      Hello Carolyn,
      please could I have a copy.Many thanks.
      Regards,
      Shona

      Carolyn Morrisey <carolyn.morrisey@...> wrote:

      Hello to everyone,

      I have a list names that may be of interest to some people. The
      entire list is too long to reproduce here. I have given a few
      examples below, but will happily email the spreadsheet containing the
      full list to anyone who would like it.

      The list shows the names of members of the local Territorial Force
      (1/5th Gordon Highlanders) who volunteered for foreign service in 1914
      and it appeared in the Buchan Observer in October of that year.

      It is particularly useful as it includes addresses.

      The list includes men from all over the Buchan region. There were 8
      companies each of approximately 100 men:
      A – Strichen
      B and C Peterhead (including Cruden Bay and St Fergus)
      D- Turriff
      E- Ellon
      F- Oldmeldrum
      G and H – Fraserburgh

      In addition there are officers, Depot staff and new recruits – so
      about 900 names in total.

      I have added some notes when I could find any additional information
      eg if the man died, became a prisoner, was wounded etc. In addition I
      have copies of a couple of “human interest stories” that appeared in
      the local paper involving men named in the list. Due to size
      constraints they are not included in the spreadsheet, but I can supply
      details if required.

      The information supplied in the Buchanie consited of Service number,
      rank, surname, initial and address. So in most cases the information
      consists of the following:

      125 Sergt Cruickshank, W Prison Bldgs. Peterhead
      1807 Sergt Youngson, R.W Schoolhouse, Longhaven
      1703 Drummer Balloch, A.J Station Rd Peterhead
      1704 Pte Bruce, John S 26 Jamaica St Peterhead
      1705 Pte Herd, J.S 1 Brook Lane Peterhead
      1706 Pte Mitchell, A 9 Union St Peterhead
      1707 Pte Rennie, W.P 38 Windmill St Peterhead
      1708 Pte Slessor, J 44 Longate Peterhead
      1778 Pte Alexander, A.J 11 Back St Peterhead
      1779 Pte Bruce, A Cocklaw Mains, Peterhead
      1781 Pte Clark, J 50 Queen St Peterhead

      Using a variety of other sources, including casualty lists from the
      Battalion War Diaries for 1915 and 1916 and an earlier list I produced
      containing the names of men from the Peterhead region who died in WWI,
      I have supplied additional notes to perhaps a quarter of the names.

      Some examples from 'C' Company – Peterhead are:

      1828 Pte Donald, George 81 Queen St Peterhead (Appeared in Buchan
      Observer article and photo at Bedford camp, England 1914.)

      928 Cpl Morrison, John S 7 1/2 Kirk St Peterhead Wounded 5/9/15 -
      Cut in right wrist caused by Trench Mortar. Killed in Action
      31/7/1916 at High Wood (Somme) (Sergt)

      2063 Pte Park, Robert F The Village, St Fergus Wounded
      9/7/16; gassed 25/7/1916. Killed in Action 31/7/1917.(NEW IRISH FARM
      CEMETERY ). Born St Fergus

      1314 Pte Simpson, James A Blindburn, Ellon (From Buchan Obs.
      16/4/18) "Pte James Simpson (wounded 1918), son of Mr & Mrs Simpson,
      Carpenters' Croft Bindburn, Ellon. Previous to joining up at the
      outbreak of the War he assisted his father."

      1551 Pte Taylor, Robert B 9 Pool Lane Peterhead (Appeared in
      Buchan Observer article 1914 – four brothers in the Services). Wounded
      1/7/16

      1482 Pte Webster, Frank 31 Seagate Peterhead Obituary from
      Buchan Observer 1918. Also Buchan Observer photo at Bedford camp 1914.
      Died of wounds 26/6/17 Attached to 153rd Trench Mortar Bty. Age 22.
      Son of John & Maggie Webster of "Benwells" Kirk Sq. PHD. (POPERINGHE)

      There is a great deal of information for those men who came from
      Turriff, because of the very useful “War Book of Turriff and Twelve
      Miles Around 1914-1919” by Minto J. Robertson 1926. Some examples:

      165 C.Sgt Duthie, Charles Alexander 23 Main St, Turriff Master
      Plumber. Discharged 1916 as time-expired Territorial.

      167 Sgt Eddie, William John Cowie Peterwell, Fyvie Roof Slater.
      Wounded but survived the War.

      1040 Sgt Hay, William 12 Castle St, Turriff Shoemaker. Taken
      prisoner at La Bassee, April 1918.

      576 Sgt Beattie, Robert Stuart 163 Hardgate, Aberdeen Grocer.
      Discharged when time expired 24/2/1916. Re-enlisted 26/7/1916.

      1279 Cpl Dalgarno, John 18 Castlehill, Turriff Harness Maker.
      Joined Territorials 25/2/1911.Mobilised 6/8/14. Invalided home with
      fractured scull 30/7/1916. Took part in battles of Festubert, Arras
      and Somme. Demobilised 18/4/1919.

      A few interesting ones from Company “E”:

      1639 Pte Cowie, James Ythanbank, Ellon Born Cruden. Died at
      Bedford 20/12/1914 (Measles epidemic)

      1602 Piper Lunan, Harry Hillend of Coldwells, Ellon. Newspaper
      article when he was recognised as one of the last WWI pipers, who led
      men into battle playing the pipes. (Article & photo.) A report of the
      fight states : " Piper Lunan heroically piped his company into action
      in face of a heavy barrage. He got no official recognition but the
      thanks of his comrade". "I played my company over the bloody top right
      into the German trenches. It was stupid as hell..."

      2003 Pte Watson, William 20 High St, New Pitsligo. Died
      Saturday 16th January 1915. Aged 18. Born New Pitsligo,
      Aberdeenshire, enlisted Ellon. (Measles epidemic)
      (Note: many men from the Highland Division who were training at
      Bedford from August 1914 were affected by the measles epidemic that
      struck the troops during the winter of 1914/15. It mainly affected
      men from the Highlands and Western Isles, but several Buchan men
      succumbed.)

      Some other information that may be of interest :
      Buchan Observer reports of the mobilization of the companies at the
      regional depots (except Fraserburgh)and their departure for
      Peterhead. For example the Cruden Bay report states:

      The posting of the mobilisation order at Hatton of Cruden on Tuesday
      night [4th August 1914]commanding the Territorials to report
      themselves for active service, was responded to by the men without
      loss of time, and by Wednesday morning all were in readiness. The
      section "C" belongs to the 5th Battalion Gordon Highlanders
      (Territorial Force) and on Thursday afternoon they assembled at the
      armoury from whence they marched to the railway station. The men, who
      numbered 29, were under the command of Sergeant Youngson [No. 1807].
      When the train moved off, encouraging cheers were raised by the crowd
      on the platform, to which the soldiers cheerfully replied.

      As mentioned above, I am happy to share this information with anyone
      who may be interested. Also I would love to hear from anyone who has
      has any additional information on anyone listed.

      Carolyn Morrisey

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Ray Hennessy
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 25, 2005
        Hi Carolyn

        Please could I have a copy. We know of five people from NE Aberdeenshire who joined the Gordons in 1914. Two of them didn't survive but the other three did. We have some details of them and, if they are on your list, we'll send a few details

        Best wishes

        Ray Hennessy
        www.whatsinaname.net

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 25, 2005
          Hello Carolyn,

          I would love to see the list as I have relatives living in Peterhead at this
          time.

          Thanks

          Marjorie

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 25, 2005
            I think it would probably be too late in years for any of my family but I
            would like to have access to the list as it may turn something up. Would it
            be a possibility to get it onto the website rather than emailing it
            multitudinous times to everybody. just a thought. Many thanks

            Noelene Gratton

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 25, 2005
              Dear Ray,

              I hope this attachment comes through okay. If you are interested in
              the military side of things and would like more information on the
              early days of the Battalion, please let me know. Also if you want any
              of the additional information, again let me know.

              I would be very interested in hearing from you if you can add any
              details.

              Kindst regards,

            • Carolyn Morrisey
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 25, 2005
                Sorry Ray,
                That was a mistake. I hit "reply". The attachment has now gone to
                your email address.

                Carolyn

                > I hope this attachment comes through okay. If you are interested
                > in
                > the military side of things and would like more information on the
                > early days of the Battalion, please let me know. Also if you want
                > any
                > of the additional information, again let me know.
                >
                > I would be very interested in hearing from you if you can add any
                > details.
                >
                > Kindst regards,
                > Carolyn

              • Betty Holmes

                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 26, 2005
                    Hi Carolyn

                    Could I please have a copy of the list.

                    Thank you very much.

                    Kind regards

                    Sue Suttle
                  • ALLAN HARROP
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 26, 2005
                      Hi Carolyn,
                      I would like a copy of the list as I am particularly interested in
                      volunteers from Strichen and Ellon.
                      Regards, Eileen

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 26, 2005
                        Hi Carolyn

                        I would love a copy of the list too please. It may help fill in some gaps.

                        Thanks
                        Stewart
                      • Lindsay Cruickshank
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 26, 2005
                          I would be interested in a copy.
                          Thank you.
                          Lindsay Cruickshank

                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 26, 2005
                            Hi Carolyn,
                            I would love to have a copy please. My e-mail address is
                            hm.holt@...

                            Hazel
                          • Bainz
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 26, 2005
                              Hi, Carolyn

                              "
                              I have a list names that may be of interest to some people. The
                              entire list is too long to reproduce here. I have given a few
                              examples below, but will happily email the spreadsheet containing the
                              full list to anyone who would like it.
                              "

                              Yes, please: add me to the list of mail-outs.
                              Many thanks -

                              Alistair

                              aldenbain@...
                            • james paterson
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 27, 2005
                                Hi Carolyn,

                                Would much appreciate a copy.
                                Its without doubt fantastic the assistance people offer to fellow searchers.

                                Regards,

                                James H.Paterson.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 28, 2005
                                  Hi Carolyn

                                  I am just back from a few days break and would also love a copy of your list

                                  Thanks a lot - my e-mail address is geddes_anne@...

                                  Cheers

                                  Anne Geddes

                                • Kevin Slessor

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 28, 2005
                                      Hi Carolyn,
                                      I would like a copy of the list of names as well.
                                      wendywitchell2000@...

                                      Cheers,
                                      Wendy Duckett

                                    • John S. Stuart
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 3, 2005
                                        Wanted: A copy of the 1998 biography - "Auld Bill's Granddaughter" by Chrissie Gibson, known as the Story-Teller of Finzean - Not quite Peterhead (but still definitely North East Scotland)

                                        How much should one cost me?

                                      • Gweneth Myers
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 14, 2005
                                          G'day Carolyn
                                          I am researching McKenzie & Campbell from this area. Could you please email me your list. My email is gwenethmyers@...
                                          Thank you for your kind offer, and I can see you have had a great response for the list of names.
                                          Regards,
                                          Gweneth Myers
                                          Melb. Australia

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 14, 2005