"What's in a Name" Website of Scottish Forenames

  • Ray Hennessy
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2004
      To all you lovely, helpful folks with N.E. Scottish ancestors,

      A Happy and Peaceful New Year!

      At last the What's In A Name website is ready for initial release
      following a lot of redesign.

      http://www.whatsinaname.net/index.html

      If you've not seen a pre-release version, now much changed,
      this is what it's about. The site initially covers mainly older
      Scottish Forenames. It includes:
      meanings of names, in so far as they are known,
      synonyms [Elizabeth=Isobel, etc],
      some foreign & Gaelic equivalents,
      pet names [=nick-names],
      diminutives and abbreviations,
      a few "significant" surnames, but not too many!
      and notes from various sources, especially from
      members of the Exchange groups.

      We have already helped several family researchers to find
      ancestors in Census and OPR indexes where pet names or
      unusual abbreviations have been used, so we know it can help.

      Thanks to everyone who has provided information and anecdotes.
      We've tried to incorporate all of them, with acknowledgement, but
      one or two of the earliest ones have slipped in. Sorry about that.

      And special thanks to all who saw the pre-release version &
      have helped us improve the appearance and content. There's
      lots more to do but we do like a challenge. We wouldn't be
      family genealogists otherwise.

      Please have a look and let us know what you think. We'd really
      like to know what anyone would want added. Anecdotes,
      additions and corrections equally gratefully received.

      Hope you all find in 2005 that irritating link that's eluded you for
      ages!

      Best wishes

      Ray Hennessy
      http://www.whatsinaname.net/index.html

      PS: We drafted the above note before Christmas. Now our
      thoughts and hopes are mainly with the people suffering the
      terrible consequences of the tsunami in Asia and the families
      of those tourists who are missing so far from home.

      Just think, a tiny proportion of the amount spend globally
      on armaments could provide immense relief. We can but
      wish that the world will change to embracing all-inclusive
      co-operative action.

      In sadness, but always hoping for a better world.

      Ray & Sheena