Remembrance Day 2004.

  • Ed Campbell
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2004
      Hello Friends:

      I realize this is, in a way, off topic.

      I attended the Rememberance Day Service in Edmonton,
      Alberta, Canada, today and thinking back over 60 years since my brother, Gregor MacGregor Campbell died at the age of 20 years in Holland on October 09, 1944 I realized just how much we owe to our veterans. He was a member of the Calgary Highlanders, a Canadian branch of the Argyll Sutherland Highlanders.

      I was only 8 years old when he was killed, however I do recall my mother speaking of his visit to Peterhead and being able to spend some time with his aunts and uncles (COWIEs). He had a camera with him however the pictures have long since disappeared.

      I trust you all were able to take a few moments to remember our men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country and also those vets who returned home to suffer unimaginable memories.

      Unfortunately, the vets in our local veterans hospital could not attend the service today as they have been in contact with the flu epidemic and actually a couple of them have died as a result.

      I am not ashamed to say there were tears in my eyes as I saw our "modern day vets" in the march past -- home from Bosnia, Afghanistan and Haiti as well as other parts of the world. The torch has been passed to these young men and women - may they remember their comrades who have gone before them.

      Ed. Campbell

    • bibbity46
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2004
        HERE HERE!
        I TOO AM TOO YOUNG TO REMEBER THE WAR BUT AM ALWAYS CHOKED ON REMEMBRANCE
        DAY WHEN I THINK WHAT THEY WENT THROUGH.
        GOD BLESS THEM EVERYONE.
        AND GOD BLESS THOSE FIGHTING FOR US NOW.
        FIO
        > I attended the Rememberance Day Service in Edmonton,
        > Alberta, Canada, today and thinking back over 60 years since my brother,
        Gregor MacGregor Campbell died at the age of 20 years in Holland on October
        09, 1944 I realized just how much we owe to our veterans. He was a member
        of the Calgary Highlanders, a Canadian branch of the Argyll Sutherland
        Highlanders.

        > I was only 8 years old when he was killed, however I do recall my mother
        speaking of his visit to Peterhead and being able to spend some time with
        his aunts and uncles (COWIEs). He had a camera with him however the
        pictures have long since disappeared.

        > I trust you all were able to take a few moments to remember our men and
        women who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country and also those vets
        who returned home to suffer unimaginable memories.

        > Unfortunately, the vets in our local veterans hospital could not attend
        the service today as they have been in contact with the flu epidemic and
        actually a couple of them have died as a result.

        > I am not ashamed to say there were tears in my eyes as I saw our "modern
        day vets" in the march past -- home from Bosnia, Afghanistan and Haiti as
        well as other parts of the world. The torch has been passed to these young
        men and women - may they remember their comrades who have gone before them.

        > Ed. Campbell

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jamie
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2004
          Hello Friends: Today is a bitter sweet day for me as well. My grandfather who was in WWII as a fighter pilot died on this day 15 years ago. Veterans day is always special in my heart and today I went to my daughters school and they had a celebration of the flag and the veterans. The kids invited vet's from our town and I was amazed at all of the veterans in my daughter gymnasium. I got choked up when a room full of Kindergartners to 3rd graders stood silent for 1 minute while we had a moment of silence. What a wonderful world we live in. Thank you to all of the Veterans out there!!!

          Jamie
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Alistair and Denise
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2004
            Hello a-huile-duine -

            Snaps to the Kindergartners.
            This year I was especially conscious of how little the rest of the world
            seemed to care: at 11 o'clock, people went about their business even though
            the radio was broadcasting the Remembrance Day Service from Canberra and
            first the Last Post, then silence, then Reveille were all very obvious. And
            these were NOT our much-maligned youth ...

            Alistair
            whose granduncle was killed in France, 1916 ...