Re: [Peterhead] Robert COWIE death announcement

  • Alison Kennedy
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 24, 2004
      Hi Ed,

      My reason for asking who Robert's parents were, was because there was
      another Robert Cowie (b.c. 1841) in Peterhead who was also a Baker, and who
      also had a connection with Longside, and I had wondered if there was a
      connection (which is why I have the details of the MI for the younger Robert
      Cowie). By chance I also have a note of the 1901 Census return for Robert
      Cowie and wife Mary Robertson which is as follows:

      Parish of Peterhead 1901 Census
      District 9; Page 1; Schedule 3; 9 Queen Street

      Robert Cowie, head, mar, 46, Baker – employer, Aberdeenshire, Longside
      Mary Cowie, wife, mar, 42, (occ. – blank), Aberdeenshire, Peterhead
      Marion L. Cowie, dau, 6, scholar, Aberdeenshire, Peterhead
      Annie A. Cowie, dau, 5, (occ. – blank), Aberdeenshire, Peterhead
      Robert Cowie, son, 4, Aberdeenshire, Peterhead
      Benjamin R. Cowie, son, 1, Aberdeenshire, Peterhead
      William J. Moir, step-son, single, 18, Baker’s Assistant – worker,
      Aberdeenshire, Peterhead

      This may help fill the gaps of some of your information.

      Alison

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 24, 2004
        Allison:

        9 Queen Street is where my uncle Benjamin Robertson Cowie was born on
        October 8, 1899. His father was Robert Cowie, Master Baker his mother Mary
        Cowie, previously Moir MS Robertson. Witness was the father.

        I apologize I cannot go into this further as I must go out. I had to put my
        genealogy aside past few weeks as I was researching something a group I
        volunteer with in Edmonton.

        I hope to get back to your message tonight (Sunday night in Edmonton,
        Canada). and will get back to you.

        Many thanks,

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • rachaeldmcd
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 15
          This is taken from the 1841 census, Marischel St, Southside, Peterhead:

          Apparently the two Gordon Robertsons are actually female.  The elder is the wife of William Robertson.  Apparently her maiden name was ARTHUR, and the baby called Gordon is also female.

          ROBERTSON William M 30 Blacksmith  Aberdeenshire
            ROBERTSON Gordon M 35   Aberdeenshire
            ROBERTSON William M 4   Aberdeenshire
            ROBERTSON Gordon M 4m   Aberdeenshire
            GREIVE Jane F 20 Female Servant  Aberdeenshire
            MCKINNON Jane F 8 Female Servant  Aberdeenshire
            PENNIE James M 20 Blacksmith Journeyman  Aberdeenshire
            ALLAN Alexander M 25 Flax Dresser Journeyman  Aberdeenshire
            SMITH Benjiman M 25 Merchant Seaman  England

          The household next door is presumably her parents.  Alexander McKINNON, the 10 year old, is the grandson of Andrew and Margaret ARTHUR.  His parents are Margaret ARTHUR and Alexander McKINNON, who also lived in Peterhead.  Alexander senior wasn't at home on census night - he was probably at sea as he was a seaman.
          ARTHER Andrew M 67 Tailor  Aberdeenshire
            ARTHER Margaret F 70   Aberdeenshire
            ARTHER Andrew M 30 Surgeon  Aberdeenshire
            JOHNSTON Mary F 20 Female Servant  Aberdeenshire
            FRASER Donald M 30 Blacksmith Journeyman  Outside Census County (1841)
            BANKS George M 15 Merchant Seaman  Outside Census County (1841)
            FALIE William M 15 Merchant Seaman  Ireland
            MCKINNON Alexander M 10   Aberdeenshire

          This is taken from the 1851 census - the address is 25 Marischal St, so it appears that William's first wife, Gordon ARTHUR has died, and he has remarried to Elspet (a bit of an age gap between them!):
          ROBERTSON William Head M M 44 Blacksmith Emp 2 Men  Banffshire - St. Fergus
            ROBERTSON Elspet Wife M F 23   Aberdeenshire - Longside
            ROBERTSON William Son U M 14 Apprentice Blacksmith  Aberdeenshire - Peterhead
            ROBERTSON Gordon Dau U F 10 Scholar  Aberdeenshire - Peterhead
            ROBERTSON James L. Son U M 3   Aberdeenshire - Peterhead
            ROBERTSON Robert Son U M 1   Aberdeenshire - Peterhead
            SHEWAN Alexander Sonlaw U M 25 Seaman  Aberdeenshire - Peterhead
            DAVIDSON Margaret Servnt U F 22 Servant  Aberdeenshire - Peterhead

          Is that your understanding?

          I wonder why Mary who was born in 1858 had the middle name McKinnon?  She doesn't appear to be descended from McKinnons, but her half-siblings had McKinnon cousins.  Could there be a connection that I have missed?

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 17
            Thank you for this information,rachealmcdoall. I am Ed Campbell's niece and I have been working on the search he began. We haven't been in contact for several years but I don't think he is active on here anymore. Anyway, I have a William Robertson I have been researching. He is my 2x Great Grandfather. Mary McKinnon is his daughter, my Great Grandmother. I thought perhaps he is the son of the William Robertson in the two census you have provided, but his age is off. This is the information I have:

            William Robertson married Elspet Lillie (Lilly) (b. 20 March 1828 @ Longside) on 4 July 1847 in Peterhead. Their children are:

            James Lilly -- b. 7 November 1847

            Robert Shewan -- b. 24 February 1850

            Ann Lillie -- b. 26 June 1854

            Elspet Lilly -- b. 6 March 1856

            Mary McKinnon -- b. 12 October 1858 ** (she married Robert Cowie)

            Margaret Lyall -- b.8 May 1861

            John Anderson and Andrew Shewan -- b. 26 September 1863

            Benjamin Ritchie -- b. 5 May 1866

            Jane Shewan -- b. 29 March 1869

            So, 10 kids all born in Peterhead. I'm pretty certain each of the kids have been given family surnames for their middle names. Robert Lillie b. 1791 (Elspet's father) married Anne Shewan b. 1801?  @ Longside on 4 December 1824, so there is the "Shewan" connection.

            I notice in the 1841 Census' you provide there is a Jane McKinnon (age 8, Female Servant) and an Alexander McKinnon (age 10). Are these the cousins you refer to?

            I haven't been able to discover a birth year for my William Robertson but I have narrowed it down to two possible fathers and birth dates -- James Robertson @ Peterhead 21 May 1826 and another William Robertson @ Peterhead 24 December 1826. It's all a bit of a muddle.

            Maureen

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 19
              Hi Maureen ,

              I've looked at the 1861 census and your Mary McKinnon ROBERTSON is on it.  The family is living at Threadneedle Street, Peterhead.  She is two years old and her father, William, a blacksmith employing two men is 54, so that would make his birthdate more like 1807.  Against William ROBERTSON's entry it says he was born in St Fergus, Aberdeenshire.  On the census Mary is the fifth child of theirs at that address, and the names and ages all correspond with those you have.  .

              In the 1871 census they are living at 21 Maiden Street, Peterhead.
              William is 64 years old and Elspet is 43.  William isn't exactly a young father!
              There are five children living with them:
              Elspet aged 15, Domestic Servant
              Mary, aged 12
              Margaret L, aged 10
              Benjamin R, aged 5
              Jane L, aged 2.

              The twins are not at that address though - John Anderson ROBERTSON and Andrew Shewan ROBERTSON.

              Then, in the 1881 census they are living at 4 Thistle St, Peterhead.
              William is 74.
              Elspet is 52.
              Margaret is 19, and a dressmaker.
              Benjamin is 14, and grocer's apprentice
              Jane is 12, and a scholar

              Ancestry is available at our local library.  According to some trees on Ancestry there were four Shewan siblings:
              Alexander who married Gordon Arthur
              Andrew who married Mary Bowman
              Isabella who didn't marry
              Anne who married Robert Lillie, who were the parents of Elspet.

              The same trees have Alexander Shewan and Gordon Arthur having four sons:
              Andrew, 1820
              George, 1823
              Alexander, 1826 - it says he married Ann Robertson (I wonder what connection there is?)
              Robert, 1831

              Then Gordon Arthur married William Robertson and they had:
              Gordon (female) approx 1841
              James approx
              Robert

              And then after Gordon's death William married Elspet (the niece of his first wife's husband) and they had 10 children spanning a couple of decades.

              Yes, Jane McKinnon and Alexander McKinnon are the cousins of Gordon ARTHUR's children  I was referring to.

            • Maureen Donatelli