RE: [Peterhead] Digest Number 1176

  • Ian Robertson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2004
      For Ed Campbell:
      You are searching "Robertson" amongst others. Can you give me some
      details as to that line as it is also mine? My line connects about 1820
      with a James Robertson, born 1822 in Peterhead. He was my great-great
      GF. His parents were John Robertson (b 1794) and Helen Ross (b abt 1795)

      Ian Robertson

      From: "Alison Kennedy" <alisonkennedy@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:16:41 +0100
      From: "Alison Kennedy" <alisonkennedy@...>
      Subject: Re: Robert COWIE death announcement

      I'm not sure if this is the same Robert Cowie as the one you refer to,
      but the following is from a headstone in the Constitution Street
      Cemetery, Peterhead, which you may find of interest (if you don't
      already have the information):

      In loving memory of Robert Cowie, Baker, died 20th Nov. 1928, aged 74
      years. Also his wife Mary McKinnon Robertson died 11th Jany., 1938,
      aged 79 years. Also their daughter Annie A. Cowie, died 16th Feb. 1982,
      aged 86 years. Benjamin R. Cowie died 8th Aug. 1982 aged 82 years.

      Details of Peterhead newspapers are available from the internet if you
      search for Peterhead. However you won't find actual details of historic
      death announcements from newspapers on the internet. Alternative is
      writing to the Aberdeen Central Library, Rosemount Viaduct, Aberdeen
      (full address on internet) and requesting a copy of any published
      details from the The Press & Journal (previously called the The Aberdeen
      Journal) - there is a charge made for this. Another alternative is
      making the same request to the Aberdeen & North East Family History
      Society (if you are a member) again a small charge to cover copying and
      postage costs will be made.

      If you already have a copy of the death announcement then this may be
      all the information that was published in the newspaper. I would be
      interested to know who Robert's parents were.

      Hope this helps.

      Alison