Robert COWIE death announcement

  • Ed Campbell
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2004
      I have a clipping of subject's death announcement. No dates given nor name of the newspaper.

      I estimate his death happened in 1928. Believe it was in Peterhead. The announcement refers to his bakery at 81 Broad Street.

      What I am wondering could someone tell me the names of the newspaper(s) that were being circulated in Peterhead in 1928? I wish to try to find the actual copy of the paper or at least information about it on the internet.

      Many thanks from:

      Ed. Campbell
      Searching CAMPBELL COWIE ROBERTSON MOIR etc.

    • Alison Kennedy
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 12, 2004
        I'm not sure if this is the same Robert Cowie as the one you refer to, but the following is from a headstone in the Constitution Street Cemetery, Peterhead, which you may find of interest (if you don't already have the information):

        In loving memory of Robert Cowie, Baker, died 20th Nov. 1928, aged 74 years. Also his wife Mary McKinnon Robertson died 11th Jany., 1938, aged 79 years. Also their daughter Annie A. Cowie, died 16th Feb. 1982, aged 86 years. Benjamin R. Cowie died 8th Aug. 1982 aged 82 years.

        Details of Peterhead newspapers are available from the internet if you search for Peterhead. However you won't find actual details of historic death announcements from newspapers on the internet. Alternative is writing to the Aberdeen Central Library, Rosemount Viaduct, Aberdeen (full address on internet) and requesting a copy of any published details from the The Press & Journal (previously called the The Aberdeen Journal) - there is a charge made for this. Another alternative is making the same request to the Aberdeen & North East Family History Society (if you are a member) again a small charge to cover copying and postage costs will be made.

        If you already have a copy of the death announcement then this may be all the information that was published in the newspaper. I would be interested to know who Robert's parents were.

        Hope this helps.

        Alison

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 12, 2004
          Hello Alison:

          Thankyou so much for this information.

          Robert COWIE; baker the MI date corresponds with my information-that is the
          birth certificate and adding his age at time of his demise. Robert COWIE was
          born 15 July 1858 in the Village of Longside. His father is shown as
          William COWIE (with the notation: "farms!" next to his name. The mother is
          shown as Ann ADAMS.

          Mary McKinnon ROBERTSON born 12 October 1858 18 Marishal Street, Peterhead.
          Her father was William ROBERTSON; blacksmith and mother was Elspet LILLIE
          This is from Mary's "extract of entry of Birth dated 25 October, 1858.

          Annie Adam COWIE was born 16 August 1895 at 19 Marischal Street, Peterhead.
          Her father was shown as Robert COWIE; Foreman Baker. Her mother was shown
          on this Extract Entry of Birth as "Mary COWIE Previously MOIR - MS (maiden
          surname) ROBERTSON.

          Benjamin Robertson COWIE was born 08 October 1899 at 9 Queen Street,
          Peterhead. His father Robert COWIE was shown as Baker-Master. Mother shown
          same as for Annie.

          The date of marriage for Robert COWIE and Mary ROBERTSON is December 30,
          1893. I have found a son,
          John Moir which should be Mary's by a previous marriage(?)

          Annie and Ben were brother and sister and never married.

          They had another sister, my mother.

          Marion Lillie COWIE was born 02 July 1894 at 30 Marischal Street, Peterhead.
          She passed away March 29, 1982 in Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada. Her
          husband was Gregor McGregor CAMPBELL.

          We believe there may have been another brother "Bob" however we have no info
          on this. I will follow up as you suggest as I have recently joined ANEFHS.

          I haven't proved yet but believe the COWIEs are related to LILLIE, SHEWAN
          and SANGSTER. I can give more limited info if you wish or anyone else who
          may find this information of interest.

          Once again many, many thanks for the information and suggestions. If you
          wish to contact me off list my e-mail address is:
          edcampbl@...

          Kind regards,

          Ed (Edward Benjamin Campbell)

          I have a clipping of subject's death announcement. No dates given nor
          name of the newspaper.

          I estimate his death happened in 1928. Believe it was in Peterhead. The
          announcement refers to his bakery at 81 Broad Street.

          What I am wondering could someone tell me the names of the newspaper(s)
          that were being circulated in Peterhead in 1928? I wish to try to find the
          actual copy of the paper or at least information about it on the internet.

          Many thanks from:

          Ed. Campbell
          Searching CAMPBELL COWIE ROBERTSON MOIR etc.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Alison Kennedy
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 24, 2004
            Hi Ed,

            My reason for asking who Robert's parents were, was because there was
            another Robert Cowie (b.c. 1841) in Peterhead who was also a Baker, and who
            also had a connection with Longside, and I had wondered if there was a
            connection (which is why I have the details of the MI for the younger Robert
            Cowie). By chance I also have a note of the 1901 Census return for Robert
            Cowie and wife Mary Robertson which is as follows:

            Parish of Peterhead 1901 Census
            District 9; Page 1; Schedule 3; 9 Queen Street

            Robert Cowie, head, mar, 46, Baker – employer, Aberdeenshire, Longside
            Mary Cowie, wife, mar, 42, (occ. – blank), Aberdeenshire, Peterhead
            Marion L. Cowie, dau, 6, scholar, Aberdeenshire, Peterhead
            Annie A. Cowie, dau, 5, (occ. – blank), Aberdeenshire, Peterhead
            Robert Cowie, son, 4, Aberdeenshire, Peterhead
            Benjamin R. Cowie, son, 1, Aberdeenshire, Peterhead
            William J. Moir, step-son, single, 18, Baker’s Assistant – worker,
            Aberdeenshire, Peterhead

            This may help fill the gaps of some of your information.

            Alison

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 24, 2004
              Allison:

              9 Queen Street is where my uncle Benjamin Robertson Cowie was born on
              October 8, 1899. His father was Robert Cowie, Master Baker his mother Mary
              Cowie, previously Moir MS Robertson. Witness was the father.

              I apologize I cannot go into this further as I must go out. I had to put my
              genealogy aside past few weeks as I was researching something a group I
              volunteer with in Edmonton.

              I hope to get back to your message tonight (Sunday night in Edmonton,
              Canada). and will get back to you.

              Many thanks,

            • rachaeldmcd
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 15 6:22 PM
                This is taken from the 1841 census, Marischel St, Southside, Peterhead:

                Apparently the two Gordon Robertsons are actually female.  The elder is the wife of William Robertson.  Apparently her maiden name was ARTHUR, and the baby called Gordon is also female.

                ROBERTSON William M 30 Blacksmith  Aberdeenshire
                  ROBERTSON Gordon M 35   Aberdeenshire
                  ROBERTSON William M 4   Aberdeenshire
                  ROBERTSON Gordon M 4m   Aberdeenshire
                  GREIVE Jane F 20 Female Servant  Aberdeenshire
                  MCKINNON Jane F 8 Female Servant  Aberdeenshire
                  PENNIE James M 20 Blacksmith Journeyman  Aberdeenshire
                  ALLAN Alexander M 25 Flax Dresser Journeyman  Aberdeenshire
                  SMITH Benjiman M 25 Merchant Seaman  England

                The household next door is presumably her parents.  Alexander McKINNON, the 10 year old, is the grandson of Andrew and Margaret ARTHUR.  His parents are Margaret ARTHUR and Alexander McKINNON, who also lived in Peterhead.  Alexander senior wasn't at home on census night - he was probably at sea as he was a seaman.
                ARTHER Andrew M 67 Tailor  Aberdeenshire
                  ARTHER Margaret F 70   Aberdeenshire
                  ARTHER Andrew M 30 Surgeon  Aberdeenshire
                  JOHNSTON Mary F 20 Female Servant  Aberdeenshire
                  FRASER Donald M 30 Blacksmith Journeyman  Outside Census County (1841)
                  BANKS George M 15 Merchant Seaman  Outside Census County (1841)
                  FALIE William M 15 Merchant Seaman  Ireland
                  MCKINNON Alexander M 10   Aberdeenshire

                This is taken from the 1851 census - the address is 25 Marischal St, so it appears that William's first wife, Gordon ARTHUR has died, and he has remarried to Elspet (a bit of an age gap between them!):
                ROBERTSON William Head M M 44 Blacksmith Emp 2 Men  Banffshire - St. Fergus
                  ROBERTSON Elspet Wife M F 23   Aberdeenshire - Longside
                  ROBERTSON William Son U M 14 Apprentice Blacksmith  Aberdeenshire - Peterhead
                  ROBERTSON Gordon Dau U F 10 Scholar  Aberdeenshire - Peterhead
                  ROBERTSON James L. Son U M 3   Aberdeenshire - Peterhead
                  ROBERTSON Robert Son U M 1   Aberdeenshire - Peterhead
                  SHEWAN Alexander Sonlaw U M 25 Seaman  Aberdeenshire - Peterhead
                  DAVIDSON Margaret Servnt U F 22 Servant  Aberdeenshire - Peterhead

                Is that your understanding?

                I wonder why Mary who was born in 1858 had the middle name McKinnon?  She doesn't appear to be descended from McKinnons, but her half-siblings had McKinnon cousins.  Could there be a connection that I have missed?

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 17 3:23 PM
                  Thank you for this information,rachealmcdoall. I am Ed Campbell's niece and I have been working on the search he began. We haven't been in contact for several years but I don't think he is active on here anymore. Anyway, I have a William Robertson I have been researching. He is my 2x Great Grandfather. Mary McKinnon is his daughter, my Great Grandmother. I thought perhaps he is the son of the William Robertson in the two census you have provided, but his age is off. This is the information I have:

                  William Robertson married Elspet Lillie (Lilly) (b. 20 March 1828 @ Longside) on 4 July 1847 in Peterhead. Their children are:

                  James Lilly -- b. 7 November 1847

                  Robert Shewan -- b. 24 February 1850

                  Ann Lillie -- b. 26 June 1854

                  Elspet Lilly -- b. 6 March 1856

                  Mary McKinnon -- b. 12 October 1858 ** (she married Robert Cowie)

                  Margaret Lyall -- b.8 May 1861

                  John Anderson and Andrew Shewan -- b. 26 September 1863

                  Benjamin Ritchie -- b. 5 May 1866

                  Jane Shewan -- b. 29 March 1869

                  So, 10 kids all born in Peterhead. I'm pretty certain each of the kids have been given family surnames for their middle names. Robert Lillie b. 1791 (Elspet's father) married Anne Shewan b. 1801?  @ Longside on 4 December 1824, so there is the "Shewan" connection.

                  I notice in the 1841 Census' you provide there is a Jane McKinnon (age 8, Female Servant) and an Alexander McKinnon (age 10). Are these the cousins you refer to?

                  I haven't been able to discover a birth year for my William Robertson but I have narrowed it down to two possible fathers and birth dates -- James Robertson @ Peterhead 21 May 1826 and another William Robertson @ Peterhead 24 December 1826. It's all a bit of a muddle.

                  Maureen

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 19 12:48 AM
                    Hi Maureen ,

                    I've looked at the 1861 census and your Mary McKinnon ROBERTSON is on it.  The family is living at Threadneedle Street, Peterhead.  She is two years old and her father, William, a blacksmith employing two men is 54, so that would make his birthdate more like 1807.  Against William ROBERTSON's entry it says he was born in St Fergus, Aberdeenshire.  On the census Mary is the fifth child of theirs at that address, and the names and ages all correspond with those you have.  .

                    In the 1871 census they are living at 21 Maiden Street, Peterhead.
                    William is 64 years old and Elspet is 43.  William isn't exactly a young father!
                    There are five children living with them:
                    Elspet aged 15, Domestic Servant
                    Mary, aged 12
                    Margaret L, aged 10
                    Benjamin R, aged 5
                    Jane L, aged 2.

                    The twins are not at that address though - John Anderson ROBERTSON and Andrew Shewan ROBERTSON.

                    Then, in the 1881 census they are living at 4 Thistle St, Peterhead.
                    William is 74.
                    Elspet is 52.
                    Margaret is 19, and a dressmaker.
                    Benjamin is 14, and grocer's apprentice
                    Jane is 12, and a scholar

                    Ancestry is available at our local library.  According to some trees on Ancestry there were four Shewan siblings:
                    Alexander who married Gordon Arthur
                    Andrew who married Mary Bowman
                    Isabella who didn't marry
                    Anne who married Robert Lillie, who were the parents of Elspet.

                    The same trees have Alexander Shewan and Gordon Arthur having four sons:
                    Andrew, 1820
                    George, 1823
                    Alexander, 1826 - it says he married Ann Robertson (I wonder what connection there is?)
                    Robert, 1831

                    Then Gordon Arthur married William Robertson and they had:
                    Gordon (female) approx 1841
                    James approx
                    Robert

                    And then after Gordon's death William married Elspet (the niece of his first wife's husband) and they had 10 children spanning a couple of decades.

                    Yes, Jane McKinnon and Alexander McKinnon are the cousins of Gordon ARTHUR's children  I was referring to.

                  • Maureen Donatelli