1891 strays on ships

  • Cci
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2004
      Hi group. I have no idea what the meanings of the letters for these mens jobs are.
      Catherine

      ship Pembroke
      Charles Tillmer, ch.car.mte?, Leut, "Wildfire"
      Daniel Gallacdonald?, single, 25, ch.car.mte?, +, Kent
      Thomas Feith, mar, 41, ? R ?, +, Peterhead ***********
      Ralph Hull, mar, 30, ? R. A. Sc, +, Sunderland
      John Lea, single, 36, Lg. ?to, +, Newcastle
      Joseph Staddon, Act. C.P.O., Leut, "Wildfire"
      William Bryan, mar, 30, +, Hauts
      Charles Twinning?, 34, Act/ C.P.I., +, Devon
      Richard Collins, single, 41, Lg. Sto, +, Devon
      John Hetterley, mar, 44, Lg. Sto, +, Kent
      Henry Thomas, mar, 30, Lg. Sto, +, Kent
      Anthony Williams, single, 28, Lg. Sto, +, York
      William R. Petts, mar, 28, Lg. Sto, +, Sunderland
      Charles Bryce, single, 28, Lg. Sto, +, Kent
      George Russell, 24, Lg. Sto, +, Kent
      John Loy, mar, 41, Lg. Sto, +, Kent
      Thomas Gilbert, single, 28, Lg. Sto, +, Kent
      ? Hudon, single, 41, Lg. Sto, +, Kent
      William Buckler, single, 24, Lg. Sto, +, Essex
      William Robinson?, single, 25, Lg. Sto, +, Kent

      ship Try Again
      Ormsby
      William Thomson, Master, mar, 58, Aberdeen
      John Hogg, Mate, mar, 49, Aberdeen
      (could'nt read name), Cook, mar, 59, Inverness
      John Siheen, AB, mar, 33, Peterhead
      John D?er, AB, single, 30, Aberdeen
      ]

    • David Massie
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 2004
        Cci wrote:
        > Hi group. I have no idea what the meanings of the letters for these mens jobs are.
        > Catherine
        >
        > ship Pembroke

        Is this HMS Pembroke in Chatham? (If so, is a shore establishment - men
        were posted here in between ships, or while training).

        > Charles Tillmer, ch.car.mte?, Leut, "Wildfire"

        CPO = Chief Petty Officer
        AB = Able Bodied Seaman
        ch.car.mte = Chief carpenters mate
        R ? = ??????????
        R. A. Sc = ??????
        Lg. ?to = Proabaly Leading Stoker
        Act. C.P.O. = Acting Chief Petty Officer
        Act/ C.P.I. Typo for the above?
        Lg. Sto = Leading Stoker

        see <http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Navy_List_1879/Index.html> for a full
        list of Naval ranks

        Dave
      • Cci
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 20, 2004
          Thanks Dave.

          > Hi group. I have no idea what the meanings of the letters for these mens jobs are.
          > Catherine
          >
          > ship Pembroke

          Is this HMS Pembroke in Chatham? (If so, is a shore establishment - men
          were posted here in between ships, or while training).

          > Charles Tillmer, ch.car.mte?, Leut, "Wildfire"

          CPO = Chief Petty Officer
          AB = Able Bodied Seaman
          ch.car.mte = Chief carpenters mate
          Lg. ?to = Proabaly Leading Stoker
          Act. C.P.O. = Acting Chief Petty Officer
          Act/ C.P.I. Typo for the above?
          Lg. Sto = Leading Stoker

          see <http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Navy_List_1879/Index.html> for a full
          list of Naval ranks