Re: [Peterhead] stonemasons

  • Elisabeth Wilson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2004
      At 02:09 PM 12/09/04, Becchi wrote:
      > My great grandfather Alexander Wilson Cordiner came to Vermont at the
      > request of a large Marble quarry to recruited stone masons from Peterhead
      > (Boddam) and
      >stone carvers from Italy. The small town of Barre, Vermont has a rich
      >history of Scots & Italians working in the marble industry.

      This is very interesting. My great grandmother's brother, Alexander (Sandy)
      YOUNG went to Barre, Vermont - and his father Thomas Young was a stonemason
      before he took up farming at Hill of Coldwells near Longhaven. Alexander's
      older brother Thomas is listed as a stonecutter in the 1881 census and his
      (A's) occupation with the LDS records a relative gave me is listed as
      granite cutter! Brother Thomas died in Glasgow but his family went to
      Canada so the plot thickens...

      Thanks for this - if anyone having relatives in this area knows any more
      I'd be interested to hear, although I'm in contact with Alexander's great
      great grand daughter also.

      Elisabeth

      Elisabeth Wilson
      South Hobart, Tasmania
      SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG (Strichen)
      DAVIDSON (Strichen)