Re: [Peterhead] Digest Number 1159

  • Anne E. Parkes
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2004
      You could try the National Archives site for Canada
      www.genealogy.gc.ca/index_e.html
      You'll find various info but to your subject, I'm of the understanding
      that many immigrants landed in Canada via Montreal and the Maritime
      provinces, then travelled by rail to their destination, some going to the
      U.S. Check the site. The site has quite an extensive list of "passenger
      lists" by date of arrival but unless you know an approximation of the
      timeline, it could be a large task. I've just ordered the passenger arrival
      list for 1910. Fortunately my grandmother specified a month of arrival in
      her 1940 Registratioin papers, even though month wasn't asked for. The
      lists aren't indexed so you can see time is needed for the searching.
      Montreal wasn't open year-round because the St. Lawrence River was frozen,
      so they entered through the Maritime provinces.
      Anne Parkes
      Toronto, Ontario, Canada
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 12, 2004
        At 02:09 PM 12/09/04, Becchi wrote:
        > My great grandfather Alexander Wilson Cordiner came to Vermont at the
        > request of a large Marble quarry to recruited stone masons from Peterhead
        > (Boddam) and
        >stone carvers from Italy. The small town of Barre, Vermont has a rich
        >history of Scots & Italians working in the marble industry.

        This is very interesting. My great grandmother's brother, Alexander (Sandy)
        YOUNG went to Barre, Vermont - and his father Thomas Young was a stonemason
        before he took up farming at Hill of Coldwells near Longhaven. Alexander's
        older brother Thomas is listed as a stonecutter in the 1881 census and his
        (A's) occupation with the LDS records a relative gave me is listed as
        granite cutter! Brother Thomas died in Glasgow but his family went to
        Canada so the plot thickens...

        Thanks for this - if anyone having relatives in this area knows any more
        I'd be interested to hear, although I'm in contact with Alexander's great
        great grand daughter also.

        Elisabeth

        Elisabeth Wilson
        South Hobart, Tasmania
        SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG (Strichen)
        DAVIDSON (Strichen)